34 Am I getting old?

aussiedad

My wife seems less concerned than me, but I can't help but feel my body clock is ticking and I am concerned about putting off starting a family for much longer. I feel ready although I will feel more comfortable when we buy a house next year, and I don't want to be an old dad. Also, I want the children's grandparents to be a part of their life for as long as possible. Any thoughts?

sent from my HTC Desire (AuraxTSense custom ROM)

stayathomepaul

You are not getting to old. If you are already planning to get a house next year then relax. Trust me you want to get the house and move in and not have to worry about handling everything because you have a pregnant wife or baby.

Paul40

You can be a dad at any age, it is totally up to you. I would not wait until just the right time though, it seems to never come. Kids are blessings and whenever it happens it happens.

aussiedad

Great advice, thanks.. I agree we should should sort out the house first. I have seen friends try to rennovate and whatever with kids or a pregnant wife. Its a recipe for premature birth and divorce it seems.. my wife is already nesting though, very cute..

sent from my HTC Desire Android (AuraxTSense custom ROM)

aussiedad

How have you guys found having or not grand parents around? Another reason I am keen on sooner than later.

Jeff

I am a 37 year old new dad. My parents are both in their 60's and I feel this was the right time for us. It seems that in other countries they don't even start getting married till their 30's and children are after that. So I only feel old when I am around my friends that all have children that are 10 or more years older than mine!

Salazar

I just turned 36 and my youngest is 15 months. I can understand not wanting to wait too long to start, but it really depends on how many kids you want. If you want more then two or three, I would get started soon.

As far as waiting for the house goes, go for it if you'll be more comfortable. But just remember that there will always be a good excuse to keep waiting. Let's get this out of the way, then this, then this...and on and on.

syboken

There are days I feel ten and other days when I feel like I am 79. Today I feel somewhere in the middle but each day I have come to realize is a true blessing. I am always amazed when people in their mid teens start talking about feeling older though. :)

Jaxon

My youngest daughter is 11, and I'm 45. I think between the ages of 30 and 35 is the perfect time to have children. You're mature, you've settled down, and there's still time left to enjoy the grand kids.

aussiedad

Grandkids, for my parents, and for us is my biggest concern, that's what I feel most impatient about. Thanks for all this, very helpful, thank you.

Zimmer

Nah I have some friends who had kids when they were in there 40's and they don't seem bothered at all. 40 is the new 30 so you have some time if you are not in to big of a hurry.

HWard84

Never wait until you have everything done or everything is perfect - something always comes up and then you put it off longer. You can buy a house and fix it up when you have kids.

Heartbeat

I agree with HWard84. Things will never seem like a "perfect" time to have kids. We weren't trying and my wife is pregnant. I'm 27 and we didn't want to have kids until we had money in the bank, a house for the baby and she didn't have to work. It seems sometimes like fate decides those things without you.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm 32 and having a kid. If the wife has her way, I will be 40 and still having kids. She is a bit younger then me however.

I grew up only knowing two Grandparents. One on each side. I saw no problems with it.

richard42

Too Old ?

Thirty-four is not too old at all. I had my first child when I was 37, my second at 41, and my third at 43. And everything turned out just fine for all.

aussiedad

Thanks everyone, I feel reassured by your comments. Do you find you nees to put a bit more focus on keeping fit so you can keep up with the kids?

noahsdad

I do keep a work out routine to keep up with my kids but I am 45 and have a 5 and 6 month old, so they keep me busy too. My grandparents all passed away when I was young, but I am pretty close to my parents and the kids spend a lot of time with them.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks everyone, I feel reassured by your comments. Do you find you nees to put a bit more focus on keeping fit so you can keep up with the kids?
I'm not fit by now means. However I can outwork others at UPS unloading the trucks. I've found most of my life I've had physical jobs. Mowing lawns, pre-fab houses, UPS, etc.. I can and do push myself, even when hurt. And at my age, I'm feeling my "age". The wife hates that. I'm sure a few visits to a chiropractor, and getting a few massages will help out, but I hate having to pay for them for myself.

All that being said, hurt or not, when it comes to the kid(s) I play through it.

MickL

I am 35 year old and I don't think I am too old for my kid. I wonder though if I will have chance to be part of her children' life.