8 year olds and chores

stayathomepaul

My wife works a lot so she doesn't really help much around the house. It is a bit much for me, but after a 8 or 10 hour day I know she is tired. I want to get the kids to help out. What chose can I give kids around 8 years old?

Jdrake

I would say that they are old enough to clean their own rooms. Pick up toys, dishes and trash from around the house and starting to learn how to do dishes. They might not do them great at first but can learn.

Jack

I'm pretty sure an eight year old could learn to push a vacuum cleaner, and they might be able to dust some things too if shown how.

proudpapa

They aren't good at dishes, but it can be done. Dusting, sweeping, folding towels, tying up the trash bag and setting by the door and putting a new bag in are things we do around here.

stayathomepaul

Thanks for the ideas. Perhaps the key is to help them do the smaller jobs while I do the larger ones. Just so I can teach them how its done. How old do they get before they start to clean all on their own?

stepdad

Thanks for the ideas. Perhaps the key is to help them do the smaller jobs while I do the larger ones. Just so I can teach them how its done. How old do they get before they start to clean all on their own?
Just so you know, I am laughing out loud right now! Do you really think that is going to happen? We have teenagers in the house and it seems the bigger they get the bigger the mess. Hair stuff and clothes everywhere. Good Luck.

danno

My son is eight and he's the tidiest child I know, but maybe I'm just lucky because he isn't as tidy when he's at his mothers! He loves helping me with all the chores, even the cooking!