A tendency to long life

Jonathan

I know that tendencies to some diseases (like diabetes and hypertension) are hereditary, but I am curious if a tendency to long life also is hereditary. Do you know something about it?

Blended

I have no idea but from my experience and people I know this may be true. There are some families that all share this feature. But I don't know what science has to say about it.

Michael

I know that tendencies to some diseases (like diabetes and hypertension) are hereditary, but I am curious if a tendency to long life also is hereditary. Do you know something about it?
My sister's father-in-law had four brothers. They lived to be 98,99,100,100 and 101. Their father died at age 97 -- on the golf course. I'd say longevity is hereditary.

bighelp

Not sure but it would be great if I could find out. 3 of my four grandparents died early (in their 50's), the one who lived the longest passed when she was 73. My own parents died fairly young too, one in her 50's and my dad in his early 60's.

TJoel

I would love to know if it's hereditary or not. My dad died in his 65, while my grandpa on dad's side died in his 60 or so. But my mother is 79 now and she is quite healthy for her age.

Howard

I definitely think longevity runs in families. For families with a history of certain diseases, though, a person can do a lot to minimize the risk factors.

Mohidad

I also believe that longevity is hereditary. I don't know how it works though. I wonder if it is the genes or the healthy lifestyle the children inherit from their parents.

bighelp

I think we need to laugh more as a set of people, I mean I see people all the time who complain about life but why not just enjoy it and roll with the punches. Ever notice how negative people tend to have more health issues? Its just a thought. :)

ryan

Longevity and genetics do have a connection. Heart disease, with men especially, seems to run in families. Other conditions have a genetics link, too. Having said that, I agree about attitude. In fact, I've read that one attribute that people nearing 100 years old share is the ability to adapt. Making the best life for yourself in situations you can't control is really important. That has to be a factor in warding off disease.

Babar

Yes, how long your relatives live definitely plays a part in regards to when you yourself will kick the bucket. However, lifestyle choices can easily steal away a 90-something fate.

kreso93

Well, it mostly depends about the way you live, but I doubt it that there's no gene connection in it as well.

sreekumar

Oh! surely genetics and longevity do have a strong connection. Life style matters only negatively. But sometimes even people from families where there is history of long life to its members live longer even though they lead a cantankerous life.

Victor Leigh

In my family, it seems to be hereditary. My grandparents, from both sides of the family, have all reached at least 80 before they called it quits. My father passed away at 81. My mother is getting past the 70 mark and looks good for many more years.

Donald

My mom is a twin. She died when she was 66. Her twin is still alive and kicking at 82. The difference is that my mom was a heavy smoker. All their siblings who smoked have died before they were 70. The non-smoking siblings are 82, 90 and 93.