ADD/ADHD Support

badge67

My son was recently diagnosed with ADD without Hyperactivity. The poor kid has been suffering in school and I've been watching this bright little boy struggle with reading and working independently. The best word to describe my son is scattered. He just can't gather himself together sometimes.

We started him on a medication trial and he was given a 504 plan in school. So far I have seen a big difference in him, but I want to do more.

Any Dad's out there with ADD/ADHD kids? I'd love to hear about any strategies you do with your kids that have seemed to help. I know I'm not alone, but sometimes you can't help but feel that way....especially since doctors and schools seem more comfortable dealing with my wife than they do with me.

Walker

I'm sorry to heart that, I myself was always an unorganized youth, who knows what I had or didn't have, anyway the point being I started practicing Karate and the discipline of the style rubbed off on other parts of my life to. Try finding a dojo and enroll your son there, just try to find one that practices the traditional ways, not the studios that are popping up in malls everywhere.

Peyton

What is a 504 plan? My step son is going to be moving in with us soon and from what I understand there may be an issue of ADD or ADHD. We're going to have him evaluated, but I've never dealt with these issues before and I don't know much about them.

I'm glad you're seeing a difference in your son, badge67. I wish I had some advice for you, but like I said, I am new to this. I did hear somewhere that a gluten free diet can help - is there any truth to that?

badge67

Hey Peyton....there are two types of written plans that a school must implement for a student with learning disabilities. They are a 504 Plan and an IEP. The 504 Plan is a plan for students who need only reasonable accommodations like strategic seating and longer time allowances for tests.

An IEP is for students who need more specialized instruction. IEP stands for Individualized Education Program. It is more involved than a 504 plan, and allows for greater intervention than the 504 plan.

I hope this helps you become familiar with what might be available should you need it. Good luck with your step son.

Peyton

Ohhh, yea, I actually heard my wife saying something about an IEP the other day. That's what my step son has now, so I guess that's what we will have to continue with when he comes here.

That's really cool that your son is getting some help from the school as far as seating and testing. Is there anything else they do to help him focus?