Any advice to share?

Sam

What have you found to be the best part of being a stay at home parent? What have you found to be the down side of being a stay at home parent? Any advice to share?

Paul1960

I was a stay-at-home dad when my kids were in high school, and I'd say the best part of being a stay-at-home dad was having so much more time to spend with them than I'd had when I was working full time. The down side was the cabin fever, lol. It didn't take long at all for me to get sick of being at home all the time. I found ways to work around it though, so if I had any advice to share, it would be to find productive things to do, to keep yourself busy. It keeps YOU from being bored and it helps your family out, as well.

Bobby

Far and away the best part of being a stay at home dad was the fact that I didn't miss out on anything. The down side was the decrease in income. My wife and I shared the stay at home part, with each of us going out to work for half a day, so we each only got half a paycheck. But it was worth it.

Lorenzo

What have you found to be the best part of being a stay at home parent? What have you found to be the down side of being a stay at home parent? Any advice to share?
The best thing to being a stay-at-home parent is you get to spend quality time with your family. For almost two years now since I opted to stay at home, I was able to bond more with the kids - attend school functions, family activities, and just be readily available when they need me for anything. I have gotten to know my kids and wife more and has learned to appreciate every minute that I am with them, something that I never realized when I was holding a full-time job outside the home.

The downside, is that income is limited. You can only earn so much online (if you have online work). You and the wife just need to keep your household budget on track.

Babar

I think the best part of being a stay-at-home parent is, of course, getting to spend loads of quality time with your kids. They're usually better off when they receive one-on-one attention like that.

The worst part, I would think, is feeling trapped and like you're not utilizing any other work-related talents, or getting criticized by others for this very reason.

Victor

I enjoy not feeling so harried all the time, so I can relax and enjoy my family more. I do get a little bored at times, though, and I miss getting a paycheck.

Salazar

My job schedule is kind of odd, so at certain times during the year I would consider myself a part time stay-at-home dad. The best part is all the family time. The worst part is that I only feel truly productive when I am working.

ryan

The best advice I can share is to find what works for you. Don't let yourself get intimidated or feel the need to defend your stay-at-home dad status. It's no different than a stay-at-home mom. It's just a choice that you make for your children and your family's best interest.

LeonR

I spent many years as a stay-at-home dad. My wife makes much more money than I could make, so I chose to be a Mr. Mom. The best part is that I was always there to chauffeur them around, to attend their school events and to be in the background supervising. I wouldn't have traded it for anything.

Niceness8000

The only downside for me is that I still spend too much time working. I stay at home to be with my family more, but right now I have to put in more hours than I want to working.

Hank

I'm not a stay at home dad now, but when I was it was very nice to have the ability to be flexible with my time. If I needed to run the kids to the doctor for sports physicals or run them to the movies to meet other kids and parents, it was nice. They also got to know me much better than when I worked out of the house all of the time.

Victor Leigh

I am very much a stay at home person now but my children are all grown up. If I had found this way of making a living when my children were still young, I think I would have had a much better time with them. Our children are kids only for a very short time and that very short time passes too quickly.

ghanashyam

The best rewards that I got by being stay at home dad is that I was able to make them more religious and make them realize that " Only our own deeds are responsible for the results. Our today will affect tomorrow." I have made my children responsible to the extent that they know that how to keep the vagabond friends out from their camp.

freedombiker

the best feeling of being a stay-at-home dad is that I can schedule my own time and build up my shops on my websites and that I can see my kids grow up, and spend more time with them instead of having a 9-to-5 job and only see them at in the evening and in the morning. I love this.

youngone

The best part is having time to enjoy your kids growing up and the worst part is how it affects your self-esteem. Society still expects the man to work and earning a living makes me feel good. You can easily become detached from the work environment after a few years.

taskeinc

I've never been a stay-at-home-dad but for the past 6 years I've worked from home, and for the past 13 years I've been a single dad.

In all honesty, raising two kids as a single parent, from 3 & 4 years of age, to their present age, it really has been more of a joy than anything else. If you're a dedicated parent, whether you're a single mom or a single dad, it's not as tough a job as people think.

If you're blessed with a healthy child or children, and you are financially able to take care of them, it's all good.

As far as being at home, after 20 years in Corporate America, with the same company, I was happy to be working from home, and I have not missed the corporate environment at all! Besides, if I ever get tired of the home office setting (and I rarely do) I'll just take the laptop and go mobile. I'll work where ever there's free WiFi (Buffalo Wild Wings, Barnicles, Barnes and Noble, Starbucks, etc.).

freedombiker

Hi, I have always be a stay at home dad, and have taken care of my kids while I was working at home. The best part from this all is that you can do a lot of things with your kids what you otherwise not can do.
The disadvantage of being a stay at home dad is that your social contacts are limited. (And different.) For example, I did talk more to women in my neighborhood then to men. Because there are simple more women at home then men, and that are the people you see at school as well. To compensate this, I was sporting and going to other activities so I did have a social live. In general I always liked it.