Apologies

HappyDad

Do you feel like you apologize for your mistakes all of the time and your spouse never apologizes. My wife says I never apologize and yet I think she's the one who never apologizes.

Enrique

My wife and I went through this phase in the early years of our marriage. It was such a big deal who apologized and who didn't. But now that we're older and have adapted to the realities of married life, we have learned to focus on what's important (like learning how to compromise, for one) and better for everyone, especially our kids.

polamalu43

Nope - we both apologize when we are wrong. That is one thing we are good at - saying I am sorry and looking out for each others feelings. We also try to never go to bed angry!

Timothy

I feel like my wife apologizes when she's wrong, even though it takes an act of Congress to get her to admit she's wrong, ha ha! Seriously though, this isn't an issue for us, because we rarely ever argue and we've always been able to compromise on sticky issues.

Victor

I think I apologize a bit more, but she does apologize when necessary. Maybe that just means I mess up more often than she does. ;)

Regis

If I get tired of the silent treatment I have a few beers and then apologize. Most of the time I don't remember what's for but it works.

BigPapa

We don't argue about much but every once in awhile we do step on each others toes. When that happens though we usually talk it out and apologize when necessary.

Andersson

We had that spat years ago and it took us a good while to get over our own egos so we could always apologize. Never go to bed angry either, it makes for a bad morning the next day.

HappyDad

If I get tired of the silent treatment I have a few beers and then apologize. Most of the time I don't remember what's for but it works.
I may have to give your method a try and see what happens. :) Hey...why not try a beer summit and see if that works. Then again, maybe she's too mad to have a drink with you.

Victor Leigh

I am very bad at apologizing. When I realize that I am the one who is in the wrong, I do my best to make up for it in other non-verbal ways. Not really sure if my wife gets the message, though.

JRDeep

My wife and I are headstrong, and never seem to remember eachother's apologies when in an argument. It never fails. We go at it, and one of us accuses the other of never owning up to anything and admitting when they are wrong.

meowcow

Maybe it's just a misunderstanding? Me and my significant other have had this conversation before, and I have already explained to her that I'm not really that much into apologies, whether it is giving or receiving. I often just show my remorse by gestures instead of words, and this might also be where you and your wife are misunderstanding each other. We have talked it out and now I am at a balance that I also say it sometimes, even though I still prefer gestures. Old habits are tough to break what can I say?

Miller

I think we're kind of past all this by now. We have too many other important issues to deal with than to figure out who did or didn't do what, to place blame, and then to mend hurt feelings. Communication helps a lot. So do a bunch of demanding children who take up all our time.

fairbjosh

Do you feel like you apologize for your mistakes all of the time and your spouse never apologizes. My wife says I never apologize and yet I think she's the one who never apologizes.
LOL........ Me and my wife just had this argument the other day I always feel like I am the one that is apologizing for things even though I know I did nothing wrong :rolleyes:. Another big one me and my wife have is that she thinks it is justified if she does one thing but not justified if I do the same exact thing example: My buddy asked me to go fishing with him the other night and my wife told me she never gets to do fun things, but my buddies wife asked her to go see Magic Mike with her the other night but she did not want to go with out me. Now how is this my fault and I should be punished?

makingloot

My wife and I went through this phase in the early years of our marriage. It was such a big deal who apologized and who didn't. But now that we're older and have adapted to the realities of married life, we have learned to focus on what's important (like learning how to compromise, for one) and better for everyone, especially our kids. If I get tired of the silent treatment I have a few beers and then apologize. Most of the time I don't remember what's for but it works.

dreyz

Forgiving between us now 'goes-without-saying' and we will know who is actually in the wrong about a matter, although we won't say it. Silent treatment is usual and it goes off after a while. Women are still girls after all, gotta learn to be patient with them at times.

FrankSinatra

I apologize when I am wrong and admit it; she argues until I just drop the whole thing so she won't have to admit defeat. I tell her that isn't her best feature and it is going to drive me insane but I guess the sky is orange from now on. (Ok, she doesn't really think the sky is orange)

flfsurveyor

You are absolutely correct about that, and I am sure I have my wife's permission to say so!
For example, my wife had always been late. She did not apologize but will narrate all the circumstances that MADE her late.
I, on the other hand, would arrive at least 10 minutes early. Why? There's the off chance that she will arrive on time and will surely be very angry if I am not around. In which case I simply said, 'I'm sorry'.
But the beauty really, is that no matter what, things get sorted out and all is well again.

Fortunately, we never had major disagreements nor did something grievously wrong that a simple, i'm sorry, would not suffice.

micromachne

My wife used to be like that. When I'm in the wrong I say sorry to her. But when she's in the wrong, she used to do everything to evade it.

But eventually as she kept doing that, I started to detach myself from her. Eventually she asked why I was doing that and I told her. Ever since she's made and effort .

FrankSinatra

Well I guess we are all learning first hand what the previous generation had been telling us for years...You get married and you die a little bit everyday. lol.