Attending kids activities

Scooter

My step-son won chess champion this weekend. The problem is that when I congratulated he acted as if he didn't want me to congratulate him. My partner says it is because I didn't go to the tournament. But I had important things to catch up on around the house and errands to run for my business (I work from home). Do I really need to start making time for extracurricular activities? Why is it such a big deal?

Lieutenant

I would attempt to make time. To young kids it is a pretty big deal to have parents at their functions. A lot of times it makes them feel safe and they don't get made fun of from other kids. I would also talk with him and explain that your busy and if you truly want to be a part of that child's life let him know you will TRY to be at his events.

Lorenzo

It is indeed a big deal because as a father, he expects you to be there in important events of his young life. It takes skillful organization to balance other responsibilities and quality time with the kids, but trust me, they (or your step-son) would love you for it. Time is everything for the young ones.

Victor Leigh

Oh yes, being there is what it's all about. Don't worry, this is not going to last for the rest of your life. It's just a few years and, before you know it, the kids have flown the nest, so to speak. And you won't have anything to turn up for, even if you wanted to.

Andersson

There are times when a kid can be stubborn, its been known to happen. Just because you work and run a company does not mean your child needs you any less either. Each job is important, sometimes you can go and sometimes you can not. Make it clear to understand but also make sure you are putting some time into seeing whatever your child wants you to see. Your comment seems like it does not interest you in the least to even attend one event.

Sinbian

If you can't make time for your kids than what's the point of having them. This is not a critique but rather a statement which I use when my kids are not happy with my choices. But there are times, as Andersson stated, when kids are being unreasonable. Your job is to notice the difference and do the right thing.

Victor Leigh

If you can't make time for your kids than what's the point of having them. This is not a critique but rather a statement which I use when my kids are not happy with my choices. But there are times, as Andersson stated, when kids are being unreasonable. Your job is to notice the difference and do the right thing.
Good point there. Our children should be treasured as the gifts of life which they are. Not as inconvenient by-products of our sexual adventures and misadventures. Seriously, nobody asked to be born.

Godric

You need to find time for your son. If you really don't have time, get yourself someone to assist you. What's the point of winning something when the people you want to cheer for you is not even there?

Kina

Good point there. Our children should be treasured as the gifts of life which they are. Not as inconvenient by-products of our sexual adventures and misadventures. Seriously, nobody asked to be born.
Just because one does not always have time to make extracurricular activates does not mean they should not have children. My kids play a lot of sports, and I can only make a few games. But I have to work..... Remember it is work that pays for those activities.

The OP makes it seem like he does not want to go to them. I do want to but sometimes I can't. Plus it is a 2 hour drive just to get to them.

Babar

Yes, you absolutely do. You don't have to go to every single one, but attending a few from time to time shows the kid you care.

roncar

If you are missing his events because of work, that's understandable. You don't want to jeopardize your job. But if it's just stuff that needs to be done around the house, taking a couple hours out of your day to make the kid happy and show your support should be top priority. Not only will it help make your relationship with your wife stronger, but her son will look up to you more.