"Back talk"

Jack

My eldest daughter seems to be challenging everything lately, and we are starting to have a problem with "back talk". What's the best way to handle this?

bighelp

How old is the child? Have you noticed anything else change lately? I know this happened with a friends kid after a "new student" came into their school who turned out to be a nice bully, teaching her new friends "how its done". That is what my friends son came home telling his parents, you can bet he was grounded afterwards.

Ralphie

You definitely need to nip that behavior in the bud. She is challenging authority, and has to know that there are negative consequences for her lack of respect.

Rob

Yeah, we don't tolerate back talk in our house. We can discuss things respectfully, but we emphasize keeping a good attitude toward others.

Gilbo

There are different steps depending on the age of the child. What have you tried so far that has not worked? We do not do well with back talk in this house either and more kids seem to be picking up on this bad habit.

Bear

The way to deal with it would depend on the age of the child I think. Teens usually go through a phase with this, and all they are really doing is finding their boundaries, and challenging authority which is normal. A younger child doing this may be an indication of a bad influence at school, or some other problems the child may be dealing with.

Andersson

I think in this day and age more kids are doing this, and I have no idea where we as parents went wrong. Did a ton of parents just stop correcting their kids?

Luke

I think in this day and age more kids are doing this, and I have no idea where we as parents went wrong. Did a ton of parents just stop correcting their kids?
It's called television and the media guys. Really watch what your kids watch, and what you watch as a family. Look at how the kids treat the parents on the shows. This is why our kids will not be watching much tv at all.

JDan

I agree that television raises a lot of kids. We haven't had to deal with a lot of back talk from our kids, but they didn't watch a lot of television. If they don't hear it, they don't do it. Most of our friends are respectful in public.

Pucknut87

Yes! I work in the mental health field, and sadly many parents have stopped correcting, raising, and focusing on their children, choosing instead to focus on themselves and let society "teach" their children. People have forgotten that parenting is a "job" and requires work, time, and effort! Then when they are given suggestions on parenting, they become defensive as if they are being accused of being a "bad parent". I say if the shoe fits......

wilson

I think back talk at least some, will always been an issue most parents face. I know my brother had it tons worse than we did with ours. Goodness you would think karma was coming back to get him or something.

Christian

If that's the case then we are up a creek without a paddle. My grandparents raised me and I was rough on them, but to be fair they never paid any attention to me unless it was the negative kind.