Best custody arrangement

Len

What kind of custody arrangement do you think is best? I think it would be great if every good parent could have 50/50 split of the child but with the way some parents live in different cities and states, it's just not possible for everybody.

chelly

Each case can be a little different and as its been stated numerous times before, you have to do what is best in the child's interest. It is not about the parents, its about the child.

Rob

I would have to agree that each situation is unique. In some cases, it may really be best if one parent has sole custody. I even know of some cases where neither parent has custody and the grandparents have custody.

Terry

I have friends who live in different places now they're divorced. It's impractical to have the kids in both places during the year so it's a school-vacation split. Not ideal but they all seem happy.

collin

I'd have to say the 50?50 is fairest, and allows the children ample time to be with BOTH parents, as they do need the love and support from both.

This is a nice, hopefully amicable situation that not only is the fairest one you acn do... but it also shows the child the value of being fair and amicable, even in the toughest of situations, and this is a good value to teach your children from the start... the best thing is to always consider the children's best interests FIRST and FOREMOST.

JenVarsity

What kind of custody arrangement do you think is best? I think it would be great if every good parent could have 50/50 split of the child but with the way some parents live in different cities and states, it's just not possible for everybody.
In the state of Wisconsin, parents are awarded 50/50 joint legal custody if the father pursues the case. This arrangement is feasable as long as the parents are within 150 miles of each other. Does that mean it is best for the child? Not necessarily. This is usually where things get hairy and parents start fighting about their children. In such a case a Guardian Ad Litem would be involved, which is expensive.

Logically though, parents need to look at their kids needs and focus on them. If one parent lives farther away then maybe a school-year/summer split would work best. If a child continually fails school work at one parents house, then the parents should be provided ample time to fix the issue or the child needs to spend more time with the other parent.

I support 50/50 placement, but at the same time, the children need what is best for them.