Best dog to get for the kids

Blake

What is the best dog to get as a gift for the kids? It's not set in stone but we are considering getting a puppy this year. What do you think? We want something friendly and preferably easy to train.

Anthony

Labs are very smart and great family pets. Please don't buy a puppy from a breeder though. There are tons of animals that need good homes at animal shelters and through the Humane Society.

Strongarm

I would say a Lab like Anthony mentioned or a Golden Retriever. Those are some of the friendliest and family dogs in my opinion. The dogs at animal shelters do need homes, but those dogs you buy also do too. Do what's best for you.

Rob

Do you want a large dog or a small dog? The Golden Retrievers and Poodles are some of the easiest dogs to train. If hair is an issue, go with the Poodle.

crowl

Go from what you can afford and can house safety to what you want. Some small dogs are known to be snappy, some people get dogs thinking they will be tiny and end up being a large breed too. Make sure you know the full story of any dog before you buy or adopt.

strongenough

I definitely think that you should avoid breeders or pet stores that support them. The shelters are great places to get puppies. Labs and golden retrievers are great but if you want something smaller maybe something like a pug that isn't too snappy.

TakeYourTime

By all means, get a Lab. We have had a dalmation and a number of other dogs. The dalmation breed is just too high-strung. The best pet by far for our kids has been our Labrador retriever.