Birth Control Fight

wilson

I honestly do not know how I feel about this at all. Does this mean only certain companies would allow birth control to be covered? Its a huge topic for the ladies but it still effects us all. Most ladies I know are covered by their husbands work.

Babar

I could have misunderstood the article, but it sounds to me like birth control would be free under all health insurance plans, which is a great move in my opinion. Birth control can already be such a pain for women; having one less hoop to jump through will only make it more accessible to the females who need and want it.

Christian

Well, Obama just made an announcement saying that religious organizations are excluded. They do not have to provide birth control coverage for their employees. I am just glad that insurance is going to have to start paying for it. That can be a big expense...not as big as a baby though. ;)

Victor

I saw the announcement today too. At least this way it respects religious freedoms while still ensuring all women have free birth control, which is an important health issue for them.

Salazar

I saw the news today too, but I'm not sure it's going to be enough to make the different religions involved happy. I understand that birth control is a big issue in women's health, but religious beliefs absolutely have to be protected too.

Victor

Does religious freedom need to be protected when it imposes on other people, though? Not all women who work for a Catholic institution are Catholic themselves. Why shouldn't they have the same opportunities as other women?

ryan

I doubt this would have become such a mess if we weren't in an election year. So far, I've only been hearing what's been said on the news networks which all have their own political affiliations. Having insurance companies pay for it might be the best solution. It beats drawing it out for a year like Sebelius was talking about.

wilson

I was wondering if it was just pulled out because its an election year, just another way to get people puffed up over something this huge that effects so many. Then who knows what will happen.

Christian

I think that it has been brought out as a distraction from other issues that we really should be paying attention to. Things like the situation in Iran, the coming collapse of Greece, and our own economy deserve at least as much attention as this story has gotten.

ryan

That's the truth, Christian. Our economy is in a mess and that's where the attention should be. I hope they settle the whole business with the insurance coverage option. Time is ticking and we need to get the talk centered on economy, jobs, and getting rid of this gigantic debt. What's happening in Greece has not been given nearly the focus it deserves.

Bear

This issue seems to just keep exploding. The governor of Virginia (who is a front runner for the Vice-Presidential nominee for Republicans) is about to sign a bill that says all women must have an internal ultrasound before they can have an abortion. They are also trying to pass a bill that will completely outlaw abortions in the state AND get rid of hormonal birth control options. How is it that we have suddenly gone back to the 1950's where the little woman stays at home barefoot and pregnant?

ryan

This ultrasound issue is mind-boggling. I heard that Virginia's governor might be rethinking it because of the possible offer to be Romney's running mate. They know how women will react with their votes if this bill passes. It isn't just women, though. It affects the whole family. You can bet that I would vote against anybody that supported this travesty. This is the worst example of big government.

Victor

It's infuriating how much politicians apparently want to control women's reproductive choices. It seems to me that society is better when women have control over their own bodies, and I have a feeling that if men carried the babies, abortion and birth control would be non-issues.

huullk

Well, Obama just made an announcement saying that religious organizations are excluded. They do not have to provide birth control coverage for their employees. I am just glad that insurance is going to have to start paying for it. That can be a big expense...not as big as a baby though.

Clay

I think I must have missed something important, what is going on in Greece? I think Victor is right, not all people who work for a religious company are religious. It does not seem fair to a woman if she gets left out, because her work will not pay for birth control.

Bear

Clay Greece is bankrupt and the common people there now have no insurance or the ability to buy food, and people are commiting suicide in public because their only hope for food is to dig it out of the trash. Many people think this birth control issue is to keep people's mind off the fact that the US is very likely next up for bankruptcy court.