Biting your tongue

Salazar

Whenever my kids talk about their mother or my ex in-laws I have to bite my tongue. It takes an incredible amount of willpower because these people are so distasteful to me, but the kids don't need to hear that. Ugh, it just makes me want to scream.

daddyJoe

It's great that you are not saying what you must be wanting to. You're doing the right thing, even though I know it must be hard.

SeaUrchin

Yeah, I can understand that. But the kids obviously don't know there's anything wrong. So it's best not to let them hear about your problems with their mother or her parents.

WillyWonka

I've been thinking about the same thing. My baby's not old enough right now to understand what is going on with her mother. But I don't think we will ever talk about my wife's situation in front of her. She will not see her mother unless her mother cleans up and comes off of the drugs.

Jeff

I also have to bite my tongue for my child's sake! He will be able to form his own opinions of the family while he is growing up. He doesn't need me to tell him. I learned this from my own father who never said a negative word about my CRAP of a mother!

Independent

It is good that you have enough self control to bite your tongue. You are a good father for it and a good man. You know you can vent to us because we have all been there. Hang in there!

forgotten

I admire you for that! Sometimes I can't even stop myself from saying what I think about some people. It can become a big problem.

Steve

I also admire you in the way you handle yourself! I find it hard to control my mouth, which also gets me in trouble. Sometimes I just have to say it under my breath where as the children do not hear me. I will try to get better though, I am still bitter of the whole situation!

GranddadHoward

I think it would be hard not to be bitter, but holding your tongue benefits the kids in the long run. It's hard on kids when their parent divorce. Hearing negatives about one parent from another only makes it worse for them.