"But All The Other Kids Have It..."

Richard

I hate hearing this. I only have my kids every other week, but they never hesitate to ask me for the latest brand-name trend in shoes, clothing, accessories, or electronics. I simply can't afford it on my income alone to please them every time, even if "all" of their friends have it (I know this isn't true). I want to make them happy; I just hope I can find ways to do it without going broke.

WillyWonka

To a child, nothing makes them as happy as having a parent's love. I know I'm going to have to deal with this one too at some point. The thing is, I remember the times with my parents and having their attention instead of the things they bought me. I'm not saying to never buy them anything but don't break yourself buying "things".

the saint

You have to make them understand that they can't have everything they want. That, friendship and acceptance does not depend on what they wear or what they can afford.

daddyJoe

I agree with the saint. They need to understand that they can't get everything they want. In the long run, if they aren't taught that early in life, they'll learn it down the road at some point. It's much better for them to learn it from their parents than to learn it when they get out on their own.

SamMo

When I was growing up, my parents couldn't afford to buy us a lot of fancy stuff so we had no choice but to go without. I didn't give in to my daughters when they pleaded for stuff either. You have to be firm.

SeaUrchin

I grew up with a younger sister and I learned that lesson well. My parents were well grounded and didn't give me everything I wanted because they simply couldn't. I learned how to work and make money for myself early and I believe I'm a better man for it.

Last edited:

Jeff

I never got anything growing up. Hand me downs were the only cloths I got and I appreciated everything. My son is starting to do this now and my ex will buy stuff and then replace it when he breaks it. I do not buy much for him and he will have to learn to not break things.