Child Support

Strongarm

Why is child support so high for some. I know of a few people that have to pay like half of their income for it. They can only afford the bare essentials, mean while this one friends ex gets to go shopping and do what she wants since it doesn't cost as much as he pays to support his child. Why do they rob fathers of so much more than necessary sometimes?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure. I know some that take out over half their pay. The ex's have married but since the new father's did not adopt they still pay, while the ex's now have a much better life then before. Granted that should not let the biological father off the hook, but sometimes things need to be re-examined. Also, good lawyers will help.

And to be far, I've also known some fathers who do not pay nearly enough. They hide money, and do some pretty dirty stuff to get back at the ex.

Boston

It varies from state-to-state. I know that the state that I reside in increased the child support rate a year ago, but my child support is less because my son resides in a different state (with a lower percentage rate). And it is always calculated based off of gross income, which will always rape you in the end.

Ed35

I think it matters if they owe back support (arrears). If you are in arrears for over 12 weeks they can take up to 55% of you Net wages (not gross wages). That is the way it is in NY.

benben

I think Ed is probably right. Also I think it depends on your lawyer. If you have a good lawyer and you don't let yourself get behind then your payments should not be anything too crazy.

Mel

An attorney makes all the difference in the world for negotiating child support. If she has an attorney and you don't it can get real unbalanced real quick.

Endalia

It should be balanced, but then I think tax payments should be balanced. I think a set percentage of all of it would be the way to go, but I'm not sure that's ever going to be the way it's going to be.

Salazar

Let me tell you, I pay a small fortune to my ex and she is living high on the hog now. At first, it was so ridiculous that the Attorney General's office was shocked and took steps to do something about it. It's been lowered, but it's still an exorbitant amount. It really makes me nuts when I hear about some of the vacations she's taken in the past few years. I thought that money was supposed to be for the kids, not for her jet setting all over the place!

BigPapa

I think the men who overpay are generally in the minority for child support purposes. Most of the ladies I know who have child support payments coming in are barely getting enough to support the kids let alone take any fancy trips or go shopping. If you are in arrears though they will take you for everything you have.

Andersson

Child support is misused by many and it is not always the women doing it either. I know women who were paying a good chunk in too but that does not matter as each state (and sometimes the situation of the child/children) is what matters the most. The price between states is tricky too, east coast prices are cheaper than west coast normally.

Salazar

Which state you are in really does make a big difference. I'm dealing with Texas where all men are considered slime by the courts. The southern states really like to stick it to the guys when there is a divorce involving children.

LeonR

Often it's the other way around. Fathers should think twice before they have kids. Fathering a child is a life-long commitment. Children are major expenses, and if he factors in the child care the other parent is doing, he often should be paying even more.