Cold Showers

Victor

I was reading a story about a mom who made her 3 year old son take cold showers whenever he had a potty training accident. It made me sick. I think punishment is counterproductive during potty training and cold showers seem abusive to me.

Timothy

I agree with you on both counts, Victor. Punishing a child for having a potty training accident doesn't help because the child didn't have the accident on purpose to begin with. The concept of using cold showers as a punishment seems abusive to me as well. How did this story end? Was the child taken into DFCS custody?

Andersson

That just seems horrible, no one likes to take a cold shower. I hope they caught up with her and sentenced her to cold showers for life, preferably in a home without heat in the dead of winter. There is no excuse for horrible parenting like this.

Lorenzo

What a traumatic thing for the three year-old to go through! What was the mother even thinking, if she was thinking at all? Did the article mention the dad or other family members? Someone in the family should have stepped up and stopped this awful thing, before it can cause further damage to the toddler.

Victor

It was a forum post, not an article. I believe CPS was called, but I don't know what happened after that. There was no mention of the father.

Salazar

That's a pretty warped way to potty train. That poor kid. I'll never understand parents who have it in them to do things like that to children.

Zimmer

I don't think that helped his potty training at all. It's sad because this kind of abuse will definitely leave scars. I'm also willing to bet, this is not the worst thing the child had to suffer through.

polamalu43

Abusive is right! I just don't get how some people think. Why would you have kids if you were going to treat them that way. I bet the little boy did not learn anything from the cold showers.