Consequences of Divorce

strongenough

I don't think that parents should ever stay together just for the kids but I do acknowledge there are consequences to divorce that perhaps many parents do not consider.

Have you personally experienced any of these consequences with your children? How do you deal when these things come up?

Mel

The people IN the marriage often do not really understand all the dynamics that lead to failure of the relationship. That goes double for kids.

BoyOBoy

People who get married should think twice, and then think 100 more times. I'm living proof. My problems escalated when the wife left. Mine comes back when she wants money, but she doesn't move in. She just wants the check. I get all the kids' problems. Mine are grown, but they are now bringing their kids for me to take care of, too. We should have stayed married.

bighelp

"In the best interest of the child" is not just a random phrase some people say to be nice about it, its the truth. How is a child going to make it through a life at home with parents who are so against one another and so stubborn? In the end its only going to hurt everyone involved.

Sinbian

I'm not divorced but i see how my friend's kids struggle with this loss in their life. And I deliberately say loss because in a way it is, especially if it happens very early in their lives.

Jacob

I know a couple who stood together just because of their kid and when he turned 15 they split because then it was "safe enough" to do that, in their opinion. I don't know if this is smart to do but they did it.