Court: Sperm Donor Doesn't Owe Child Support

jason

Administrator
Staff member
ARLINGTON, Texas - An appeals court has sided with a North Texas man sued for child support after he donated his sperm to a friend.
Ronnie Coleman considers himself a gentle kind of guy with a good heart. He loves children. He is also a former cop and a professional bodybuilder who has won the Mr. Olimpia title eight times.
But the biggest weight on his shoulders lately has been a paternity suit. Several years ago he helped out a friend who wanted children by donating to a California sperm bank.
“I kind of feel betrayed in a way. I thought we were the type of friends that once you have an agreement you can always work something out,” he said.

Coleman said the he agreed he would be a donor but never a parent. Still the woman filed a lawsuit demanding child support shortly after she gave birth to triplets, one of whom died as a newborn.
He has been forced to pay as much as $5,000 a month in child support since 2008. But this month an appeals court ruled in his favor to stop the payments.

Read more on myFOXdfw.com: Court: Sperm Donor Doesn't Owe Child Support

Bear

That stinks that he was forced to pay before, but at least they are ruling in his favor now. I think I would have had to have something in writing from the beginning relieving me of any legal and financial responsibilities before I agreed to be a donor.

Babar

Um, does this woman not know how sperm banks work?! What a way to wreck a friendship. This would be like adoptive parents expecting biological ones to foot the bill for a kid.

Jack

I am just not too hep on all this reproductive technology that is available these days. To me, it really goofs up the natural order of things. I guess nice guys finish last, as they say.

Timothy

I can't believe that woman had the nerve to sue for child support from a sperm donor! Even more so, I can't believe that any court of law ever sided with her on this, because in most instances, you don't even know who the father is when you are artificially inseminated with sperm from a sperm bank. She should have to pay him back!

Jonathan

That is crazy. I can understand that he had been forced to pay in the first place. He did the woman a favor and he had to pay for that?

FrankSinatra

I didn't even know this could make it to court. I thought it was part of the process when you donate sperm to someone that it cannot come back to be used against you. Good for him and screw her for being a useless piece of garbage money-grubbing *****.

BigPapa

That really sucks! I can understand suing for child support if you were actually dating and had kids the natural way but suing a sperm donor and winning? That is just crazy. Usually when you go to a sperm bank you kind of know that you will be parenting alone. I am glad the appeals court overturned it though.

R. Paradon

That really is outrageous! Now that he has had the ruling overturned I wonder if he will sue her for breach of contract? But he may just be happy to walk away from it all. I don't have words suitable for that lady.

ghanashyam

This is very strange. How can a sperm donor can know where his sperms have gone. He should have gone to court at the very first instance. We have some of the most typical misuses in the name of child support system.

stephen

I wonder if the welfare department had anything to do with it. I know they make you file for child support payments if you want to collect welfare for your children but I'm not sure what they do in the case of sperm banks.