Curfews

Mack

The woman I re-married has three daughters, one of which is 15 and just starting to date. I think she's too trusting and should be more firm about setting a curfew. What do you think of curfews?

Manning

I don't think you can avoid them. Otherwise, kids will come in whenever they want and that might be later than they should. Curfews are good for kids to keep them safe and to teach them responsibility. They're also good for the sanity of the parents.

Richie

I'm with Manning. Mine are too young to be out and about too much without us but we still set strict deadlines for getting home from play dates and so on. Mack - what kind of curfew does the oldest girl have right now?

Jack

I think kids, even responsible and mature ones, need guidelines for what is appropriate behavior in various circumstances. Otherwise they can get too carried away.

Last edited:

CoolFather

To be honest, I try to keep an open mind regarding this issues. With today's technology, you can easily check your kids whereabouts. Get her and yourself a smartphone with a camera and a video calls feature. When she goes out for a date or to a party, you can use the video call feature to see where she and who she is with.

I think curfews are ok once in a while, but not all the time...

stepdad

With my step daughters, we don't have a particular curfew because it depends where they are going and who they are with. They always have to be home before dark if it's just that they are hanging out after school. We generally drive them places because of the big city, but if they take a bus, they need to be with friends. We also have constant contact via text and phone.

proudpapa

We haven't hit that age yet, but I'm hoping I won't have problems. We haven't even got to discussing these things but I'm sure it's not far away. I agree, get her a phone and keep good tabs.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I am planning on a curfew for my children. A weeknight and a weekend curfew. At least until they graduate.

WallysBunch

WE have curfews. Kids can do a lot with those smartphones now and you never know how honest they are being. Also, I have to agree with Jack. Kids, even or perhaps especially teen or older kids feel safer and are less able to get into trouble if they have guidelines. They can also use it as an excuse if they need to, in order to get out of something they really don't want to do but feel pressured to do by their companions.

Aiden

I think it depends on a few things. It depends on how much you trust your child and if they've proven themselves to you and earned that trust. Also, I think weekends should be later, but school days they need to make sure to get sleep.