"Daddy I Hate you!"

Adam

Why do kids say this? My daughter hasn't said it yet, she really is too young. But, I hear the neighborhood kids say it sometimes when they get mad. "Daddy I hate you!". Have your children said this to you yet?

BigJohn

I got, "I don't love you anymore" and although it stung, I knew my son was just mad that he was being punished. I simply responded, "Well, I love you, but I don't like your behavior right now."

Kenny

Big John has absolutely the right response. You know they don't mean it even if they think they do for a whole five minutes or so.

papabear

I never got that, but I have gotten, "you're mean" and "I'm not your friend anymore". It always has to do with discipline, it's never just out of thin air.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
My daughter so far has not said that. I am sure it will sting some, but I think kids say it out of anger. Maybe to try and also win the parents over so they can get their way.

DaddyBob

Although I never heard them say it... I am sure that at one point or another they have thought it. LOL. Did we not all pass through that stage during our younger years? If I heard one of my kids tell me that, I will not take offense. It will hurt, but I will try to put myself in their shoes.

Kevin

I got the dreaded "I hate you" and it was a direct result of a punishment. It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. In fact, I said that quite a bit to my own parents. Who likes to be punished? I've learned to roll with the punches.

Caleb

No! and it would break my heart. I'm sure she will say it when I don't approve of her boyfriends. She has said it to my wife and it's sad. I am the one to deal with it when she does this.

greatdad

It does hurt when your kids say they hate you or something similar. We just need to remember that it's often at a time when they aren't getting what they want or are being disciplined. They don't really mean it. The best way to "get them back" is to respond calmly and with love.