Dad's expectations during mom's maternity leave

Bigboy

I am looking for proper guidance dads....we had a our 1st baby a month ago today....I love the little guy more than life itself. I was fortunate enough to be able to take 2 weeks off so I could take care of him and my girlfriend who had a scheduled c-section. She is still not fully recovered, but about 85%. I have since gone back to work, and this is where I need your guidance. Without sounding too selfish, what is expected of dad? As it stands right now I have the 5:00AM morning feeding, go to work by 8:30, come home around 6:30 and take care of him until I put him down around 11:00. Am I doing enough during the week? I want to be a supportive as I can so I have my housekeeper coming 3-4 times a week in the morning to help with cleaning and whatever my girlfriend needs. She is out on maternity for 3 months, and I dont want to set unrealistic expecations on her. What is the normal split of duties and babycare while she is out on maternity leave so I am not resentful?

Victor

Congratulations on your baby's arrival! Remember your girlfriend is still recovering from major surgery and taking care of the baby between 8:30-6:30 by herself, which is exhausting. I think it's great that you have hired a housekeeper so she doesn't have to worry about cleaning, which she probably wouldn't have time or energy to do right now anyway. She'll need a break after you come home from work, so it is normal for you to take care of the baby once you get home, but you shouldn't be doing it exclusively either; you guys should be switching back and forth so you both get some down time.