Dads - Would You Take a Legal DNA Paternity Test? [Tough Question]

1DaddyRun

One of the toughest decisions a man can make concerning a child is taking a legal paternity test to confirm that he is in fact the biological father.

The one reason why men need to do this is because one out of every three men who take a legal DNA paternity test turns out not to be the father of the child.

Would you take a legal DNA paternity test?

Jatelo2

My friend this is a recipe for stress. With the statistic you've just quoted I'll simply be going to confirm an unacceptable fact. I'd rather take it low and use faith to continue believing the child is mine; unless the mysteriously start doubting whether I'm the biological father. There and then only , I'd feel compelled to let the kid know the truth. I rest my case

Victor Leigh

I would take the test, without any hesitation. That's assuming that I don't have to pay for the test. If I have to pay from my own pocket, then I will have to consider whether it's worth spending the money to find out something which I have no doubt about.

Actually I am not that fixated on the issue of being the biological father. When I bring up my children, they are my children. Never mind the biology.

BigPapa

Would I take a paternity test? Sure but what is the point? If you have raised a child for a few months or a few years you are still that child's father no matter the results.

Foster

I have to say I'm not sure whether I would or not. I have a 5 year old with an ex and wouldn't for a second think he's not mine. Having said that if I was given some reason to doubt it I wouldn't stop being his dad.

micromachne

First off, I would be mad as F**k if I were even put into a situation to have to determine if my child is "mine" in the first place. And straight up, if this kind of question has to even exist, you better believe me and the lady are THROUGH. If the child happens to be mine, sure I'll do my part with raising the child, but I damn sure won't be getting back with the mother for ANY reason.

If the child isn't mine, as heartbreaking as it may be, I swear I will never see either of them again. She can go and find the child's REAL father.

writer811

I would if I had to. And even if it turns out that I'm not the child's biological father, I'm still going to love and raise the kid. DNA is not that important when determining the kind of bonds you have with someone. If you raise a child, they are your son or daughter and biology can't change that.

micromachne

I would if I had to. And even if it turns out that I'm not the child's biological father, I'm still going to love and raise the kid. DNA is not that important when determining the kind of bonds you have with someone. If you raise a child, they are your son or daughter and biology can't change that.

I understand what you and all the others are saying. I just know myself. And I KNOW I wouldn't be able to look at it that way. I don't have it in me

R. Paradon

Interesting question as well as responses. I will go with the majority. If I am in a relationship and there are children involved then I will take the position of a father. Of course when the relationship ends so does the "fatherhood." As far as taking the test at the request of a lady who thinks I am the father of her newborn, sure, no problem.

JRDeep

I did everything I could before getting married to avoid having to take part in that type of drama. If I was reckless, sure, I'd probably feel better about taking the test. Last thing I need though is one of the unstable girls I used to mess around with, coming my way with with claims that I may be the father of their child.

Don

I would if I had to, but I don't see this ever being a problem for me. Both of the girlfriends I had before my wife do have children, but only one of them is old enough to be mine and he looks exactly like his father. Not to mention --- that 'boy' just became a new daddy himself.

Jatelo2

I've already said somewhere that I'm not ready for a heartbreak. So I wouldn't go for the DNA test, more so if my wife is the untrustworthy type..I agree that this is tough when you are legally compelled to do it. There and then will I do it but with great reluctance!

joeldgreat

Maybe I should take the test so that the statistics would be better. One out of three is an alarming very high statistical probability. But maybe, those who take it must have some grave reasons for doing it. Infidelity for instance as a ground for divorce and legal separation wherein the father is doubtful of the child in question. Maybe that's why the stats were high. But for the ordinary family man whom the relationship is based on love and trust, no man would ever go through this expensive procedure just to be sure. What's the point of doing it when you yourself trusted your partner?