Dating men with tattoos

erin

Fathers--would you let your daughter out the door if her date had a ton of tattoos? I've got tiny ones hidden by most clothes but I don't want my daughter dating someone with visible ones.

polamalu43

I would not judge a boy by tatoo's. I am not one to judge a book by its cover. I would listen to my daughter and then meet the boy and then decide. I would have hated for my wife's dad to judge me.

ghanashyam

Why do not you meet the boy on some pretext. If it is only a single casual date, let it go easy, but if your daughter is going seriously ahead with the guy, talk the sense. In India, by the way, vulgar tattoo is looked upon as if a person has a infectious skin disease.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I've got two right now. Both legs on the outside calf. Pretty much takes up the whole outside calf. Would love to get some on my upper arms/shoulder area. All could be covered up with clothes.

I know many people who have full sleeves, or are tattooed enough that except for maybe wearing something like a business suit, you will see one or two. Great people.

So I would not judge for the most part. However if he has a swastika on his forehead or something like that, then we may have a problem.

FrankSinatra

I wouldn't judge unless he has neck, head, or hand tattoos. Even major tattoo aficionados won't do it on those areas because then they can't hide it or look professional. Usually when you see someone with those types of tattoos it means they have to become an athlete or musician...otherwise they won't be getting any respectable job looking that way.

freedombiker

Fathers--would you let your daughter out the door if her date had a ton of tattoos? I've got tiny ones hidden by most clothes but I don't want my daughter dating someone with visible ones.
Hi, I think that if your daughter dates someone, she will make in the end the decision if she likes the boy or not. If you go against it, you probably makes it more attractive for her to date the guy anyway.

And now it is tattoos that you do not like, what will it be the next time? Hear, shoes, car, face, skin color. Let your daughter make there own decision and if she is asking you your opinion then give it.

chea

I don't think tattoos are an indication of anything these days. I don't have any tattoos myself but I have friends who have entire sleeves and they are still decent people... But I think maybe Frank has a point, if the dude has a bunch of tattoos on his face it might be a good idea to talk to the guy to get a sense of what he's about. lol

youngone

I wouldn't base my judgement on the man on the number of tattoos he has. There are bad men with no tattoos and good men with tattoos. I would be more concerned about how he treats her and how he lives his life.

Andersson

It depends entirely on the type of tattoo honestly. There is a big difference as jason noted between a swastika, spiders over the knuckles, etc. I have a few myself and even some of my closest friends know nothing about them which even after all these years I still find quite funny.

Bear

I wouldn't judge unless he has neck, head, or hand tattoos. Even major tattoo aficionados won't do it on those areas because then they can't hide it or look professional. Usually when you see someone with those types of tattoos it means they have to become an athlete or musician...otherwise they won't be getting any respectable job looking that way.
Tattoos are much more acceptable now than they were in the past, so I would say that not being able to get a respectable job was untrue. You can't judge a book by it's cover and the same is true of people's skin. I wouldn't have a problem if my daughter dated someone with tattoos.

Don

It depends entirely on the type of tattoo honestly. There is a big difference as jason noted between a swastika, spiders over the knuckles, etc. I have a few myself and even some of my closest friends know nothing about them which even after all these years I still find quite funny.
I agree. It would depend on the tattoo and probably what type of body jewelry he wears too. I'm okay with earrings although I don't get why boys want to wear one in each ear. The pierced tongues and multiple piercings, however, I would probably have a problem with.

Hank

Honestly, the types of tattoo you have can make a difference in the jobs you will get. I hate to say it but what if your doctor had full sleeves of naked girls and symbols of things you didn't agree with? I wouldn't object if someone had tats they could cover with clothing but it wouldn't be easy if they had a full arm sleeve. I've seen people turned down for jobs not on the basis of their skills but how they present. Another position I've seen discrimination in is teaching. The school boards are usually very staid and wouldn't go for a teacher having "out there" tats.

FrankSinatra

Tattoos are much more acceptable now than they were in the past, so I would say that not being able to get a respectable job was untrue. You can't judge a book by it's cover and the same is true of people's skin. I wouldn't have a problem if my daughter dated someone with tattoos.
You don't have to judge a book by its cover...you are judging it by the awful ink it has on its face, neck, and hands. It has to do more with being impulsive and not thinking things through if you are getting ink that cannot be hidden. A lot of companies don't mind tattoos anymore but they will mind it when someone comes in with a face and neck full of ink.

I want you to tell me how many people you know with ink on their neck or face that have respectable jobs...unless you work at McDonald's, Hot Topic, or a call center then neck tattoos will never be acceptable.

Don

I want you to tell me how many people you know with ink on their neck or face that have respectable jobs...unless you work at McDonald's, Hot Topic, or a call center then neck tattoos will never be acceptable.
Well, I do have a neighbor that is a retired Marine and he has a tattoo on the back of his neck from his misspent youth. He said he got it to impress a girlfriend, but she dumped him about a week later. His wife likes to kid him about it.

Lorenzo

Personally, I am not a fan of tattoos. But I've come to know some really nice people who have it, so if ever my daughters want to date guys with tats, I'll give them my go signal. Of course, I need to meet the guys first, just to be sure they're serious about my girls.

BigPapa

I don't think that tattoos make somebody less valuable as a person. I would base my decision on the type of person they were, not how they looked. My cousin has lots of tattoos and piercings but he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. I think too often we judge people without knowing a thing about them.