Dating someone from the past

Salazar

One of my friends, a single dad, recently started dating someone he went out with long before he had his kids. Things seem to be going pretty well so far. I just thought it was interesting that this woman who knew him back when he was carefree and had no major responsibilities, like kids, is back in his life now. Has anybody else looked to the past for a relationship?

Mario

Not for me, I have crushes in the past but they all have their partners right now. But I can't predict the future so I'd whatever will be, will be.

FatherYoung

My uncle started a relationship with one of his college girlfriends after divorcing my aunt. They met online and decided to see whether they could light up again their old love. It seems to be going great for them so far... His children are OK with their father's decision of rebuilding his life.

Milt

I don't think it is something I would do. I can't really explain why I feel that way, but I think I would avoid going in that direction. I think I like the idea of spontaneously meeting someone.

Ralphie

I haven't been in the situation, fortunately. When I consider some of my past relationships, though, there are people I would look up that I know I was compatible with.

Blake

I am not in a position to look for a new relationship but I don't think it would be bad to look to the past. People mature and change over time so I think sometimes it works for the best. Maybe this time it will work out.

Lorenzo

Hooking up with your ex, for me, is possible especially if the break-up did not involve bad feelings. You have history so to say. If given the chance to get to know each other again, then why not. It could be a great opportunity to rekindle old feelings.

Jack

If I was in the situation where I was looking for a relationship, I would think about people I have known in my past. If there was a spark in the past, there very well could be now also.

Jonathan

I have never been in such a situation, but my elder brother has. He met his college crush and ended up proposing her. Now they have three children.

Andersson

Not really my idea either, I have had good and bad breakups before but never thought once about going back to any of them. I figure the split was done and thats the way it should have been, no rekindling the flame for me.

Betterman

I think people change so frequently, it is very possible to find a meaningful relationship from someone in the past. This especially depends on why the relationship ended and if you've grown since then.

flfsurveyor

Will i search for someone in my past and hope for a hook-up? Sure! why not? Unless, the split was really really bad! But, even then, maybe it could be wonderful the second time around. What if someone from the past just shows up and is available and willing? Again, hey sure, why not?

Jatelo2

The temptation to go the 'ex' as they are commonly known is so strong but avoidable. The fact that your friend is having an apparently good relationship with a woman they had separated with is simply interesting and one that might lead to major disappointing. Heartbreaks because they are both opportunistic! As usual such people have specific interests in each other. When that interest will cede to be, they might even separate. My advice is; let your friend reconsidered his reasons for moving with a woman he had left earlier.

micromachne

I don't think I would. Usually, the past is the past for a reason.

And it also would be dependent upon the reasons for our split. If it was something beyond either of our controls, then maybe, MAYBE I'd try again.

joeldgreat

Maybe the girl saw something new in the man that makes her interested with him. For a start, she would have observed that the man she knew long time ago had change the way he view life. Maybe the kids made him more responsible as an adult and thus made him more interesting to date with. Sometimes, it only took one child for a man to change his outlook in life.

JRDeep

Haven't had the opportunity to. My wife is very jealous when it comes to my interaction with other women. The last thing I need is an old friend who way never anything more than that, near by, causing her to get riled up over nothing.

writer811

If you're going to get back together with somebody from the past it's prudent to remember why you broke up the in first place. Remember the problems you had so you don't do them again the second time around.