Dealing with a pets death

Ed35

We have a sick dog (boxer) and I'm afraid we will have to put her down. It's such a hard decision... She has been sick for over a month (seizures). The medicine is not helping her at all. She is getting worse day by day. I don't want to tell the kids that we have to put her down. I would rather tell them she just passed away. My wife wants to tell them the truth. I don't want them to be upset!

What would you do?

ryan

First, let me say how sorry I am about your impending loss. I know how difficult it is. My suggestion is to let the kids know about her situation assuming they are old enough to understand. If they are, it will probably help them when she passes away. You don't have to go into detail about her seizures, but you can prepare them for what is going to happen.

If she is at home where the children can see her, it might be better to let them know about the seizures in case they witness one. That could even make it easier for them to handle her passing if they are aware of her condition. It's a very tough call.

Salazar

I'm really sorry about your dog, Ed. I'm a big softy when it comes to the pets and I hate situations like that.

I think being honest with kids is the best course of action when it comes to death. The amount of information you give them should be age appropriate, but they need to be told something so they understand she isn't coming home.

Ed35

It was tough! My daughter saw her have a seizure! I tried to scoot her away from our dog before it happened. We ended up telling the kids. My wife was right, they were upset but we dealt with it. We had to put her down last Friday.

Andersson

That is very sad news and losing a pet is never easy. I never think of them as pets since they are a part of the family. Right now I have one rubbed on my leg (cat) who is waiting for dinner time. She had a sister that we lost years ago and it still creeps me out when I walk past the part of the house she passed in.

Victor

I am sorry for your loss and I hope the kids are doing ok. I think telling them the truth was the right thing to do; kids don't appreciate it when we try to shield them from facts of life.

Donald

My mom just lost her old blind dog and her 20-year-old cat. It's hard to believe those animals were that old. She finally took the dog in because he wasn't eating. The cat died within a week. It was strange.

Sinbian

Very tough call. Depends on how small the kids are. I would probably tell them the truth. The sooner they develop normal acception of death the better.