Dealing With Boyfriends?

Kyron

My oldest child is my daughter who is 12. Of course she has what she calls a "boyfriend". I don't mind and I know she is a good kid. But she has asked me if she could stay overnight at his house. Of course, I said NO. She has been giving me the cold shoulder ever since and my wife has told me they should be alright. I still say no. I just don't want to put her in that type of a situation yet. I'm sure she would be good but I don't know this kid that well and I'm not sure I want to.

spencer

At 12 I don't think there is anything to worry about though I agree your concern is genuine and authentic. I am sure the 'boyfriend' has parents so it depends on whether or not you know them.

Take time to ask what the cold shoulder is all about and you might be surprised all she wanted was to be talked to.

Kyron

Thanks Spencer. I've finally gotten through the cold shoulder. We went on a Daddy and Daughter date to the movies. At least she isn't too cool for me yet. We went to get ice cream afterward and talked about things. I explained that I was just looking out for her like a Dad should and she finally told me she didn't like this boy anymore. :rolleyes: Great! 35 bucks for movie, candy, drinks, popcorn, gas and ice cream to find out she thought he was "icky" now.:confused:

Tyler

I agree I would not let my daughter spend the night at a boys house be it 12 or 17! No way no how. I am glad that she all of a sudden doesn't like him and you can still go on daddy daughter dates that is really neat!

Kyron

Yeah, I'm not going to let this be one of the things I'm OK with-no matter what age. I think it's my responsibility to take care of her and this is just going to be one of my rules. I don't think I'm going to start the whole-"Dad can he stay over on the couch?" thing either. I've been a teen boy before!