Dealing with In-Laws

William

How do you deal your in-laws?

Sometimes I need to make up someone who really likes them even though I am already irritated with them. I am at ease with my father-in-law because he is not so serious about life. My mother-in-law is the opposite of her husband and I just say yes even though I don't agree with her so that there won't be any arguments.

Glenn

My in-laws live about 1200 miles away from us so I seldom have to see them. I do wish they lived closer because we could use the help and support sometimes, but it is what it is.

I seem to have a similar situation to yours, William. My FIL is one cool cat and I could hang out with him all day long. My MIL, on the other hand, contradicts everything anyone says. I say black, she says white, that sort of thing. Kind of annoying. My wife gets as irritated as I do with it, but rather than sparking a family feud during the few times we get to see them we just ignore it and walk away.

DadOf4

My father-in-law is an idiot and couldn't raise his kids properly to save his life. My mother-in-law is just plain nosy. They live 20 miles from us and I don't attend another family gatherings that involve them.

Verny

That is sad to know DadOf4. I'm blessed that I have an understanding in-laws. Or maybe I just know how to deal with them in a good way. We do have some conflicts but we often resolve it, usually at dinner.

MatthewR

I've got great in-laws too. I can't imagine not wanting to be a part of their lives or them a part of ours. It would be really sad for my kids to know see their grandparents.
I think a lot of times we have to grin and bear it.

PappaQ

Sometimes in-laws can either enhance a marriage or they can ruin it. That's why when my kids get older, I'll be sure they know that when they get married, they get the full package including the spouse's family.

Daffy

As far as mine are concerned, I would rather not be with them. All my MIL talks about is my brotherIL and sister IL's families. We might not as well exist as far as she is concerned. My FIL is already dead but I really liked him. He was so nice and could really carry on a conversation without being an idiot.

DaddyBob

My wife is not exactly close with her family so I am lucky I guess on that aspect. I do not see them.. they do not see us. Our kids get enough love from my folks.

Lefty

Unfortunately, both of my wife's parents are gone. I would have rather they had been around for my little girl because they were great people. I couldn't have asked for a better set of in-laws. They raised my wife to be the same as they were and she's wonderful. My parents, on the other hand, are not fit to raise chickens. I left home when I was 15 and I've achieved everything I have on my own.