Do teachers really do this?

justin

So my niece was telling me that her teacher lets them write down on a 3x5 card all the information they can for a test. It sounded sorta funny to me. Do they really do that?

MatthewR

?? Not at my kids school. I bet the kids would love it though- No more studying needed. Just need to practice writing really small so they can have the answers!

AdoptedDad

No, at my kids schools that is considered cheating. How is a child supposed to learn anything if they know their teacher is going to let them cheat and have the answers right in front of them?

BigJohn

I used to have some teachers that let us do it. I specifically remember it being allowed for our high school geometry class. It was an exercise in practicing how small you could write.

MickL

Actually it's the first time I hear about it. In my high school and college, there were indeed open-book tests where you can open certain or any books to help you do the exam.

SilverVeil

For the classes that were more than whether you comprehend what you read, sometimes we were allowed to have open book tests, like in Constitutional Government or civics.

Caleb

I can't imagine letting kids do this- How will they learn the material they need to learn? I wonder what types of classes are doing this? I would be ok with it for social studies (history).

Kenny

I remember having this in middle school and high school for some classes and we also had open book tests both in high school and college. Personally, I think it has more to do with the teacher looking like the kids are learning well than them actually learning anything.