Do you applying double standards when handling the step children?

Jatelo2

From a personal experience I have seen most step-parents applying double standards when handling the step children. I just don't know what motivates them to do so. My question is to the stepfathers, Do you find yourself kinda mistreating the other children (which aren't biologically yours)? Please share also how this practice can be stopped or avoided. Thanks in advance for your responses!

JRDeep

I've done it before, and my now wife called me out on it a couple of times. I guess the best way to stop it is to realize that you're targeting someone who doesn't deserve such ill treatment. Whatever resent that may be felt isn't there fault. Being nasty toward them, or holding them to standards that no one will live up to isn't really the best way to deal. Coming to terms with this is the first step to avoided long terms issues between you and your step child.

daddyjay

I am not a step-parent yet. But I do not like to see step-dads who are harder on their step-children. I think when you become a parent it should not matter if the children are yours biologically or not. You should treat them all with the same love and respect.

Andersson

I avoid double standards for anyone, what is the sense in it anyways? I just do not get it myself and to me it seems like it would cause more drama than being honest and explaining the situation dealing with anyone, child or adult.

Jatelo2

I've done it before, and my now wife called me out on it a couple of times. I guess the best way to stop it is to realize that you're targeting someone who doesn't deserve such ill treatment. Whatever resent that may be felt isn't there fault. Being nasty toward them, or holding them to standards that no one will live up to isn't really the best way to deal. Coming to terms with this is the first step to avoided long terms issues between you and your step child.
What I have learnt from this post is the fact that those who meet ill treatment on the kids ought to know that they have the wrong victims. The Kids are actually innocent as you said! Thanks for this insight!