Do you have adult children at home?

olderthandirt

I have a couple more years to go before mine start turning 18, but we've already discussed that time. I've always told mine that if they're not in school full-time, then they need a job to pay room and board. I feel that is teaching them the way the world works. They know a number of kids that are a little older than they are, whose parents let them live at home and still do everything for them. I think they think I'm stodgy and strict, but shouldn't they learn that in the real world, you have to work and take care of yourself?

Zimmer

My oldest should be heading off to college quite soon, but if he decided to stay at home I don't think we'd have problems of the sort. He's been working part time since he was 14.

Andersson

I almost lost my marbles a few times when the kids were younger but we managed to get into a good routine. Both stayed at home for a few years while in college and it took about six months to get it down so that everyone was happy being "adults" in the same house. I doubt I would trade that time, we all learned a lot from one another. Now of course it would drive me out to the barn!

Timothy

No adult kids in this house, as our little one isn't even in preschool yet (getting close though). However, my wife and I both lived as adults in our parents' households before we were married. We paid rent, bought our own food, washed our own laundry, etc. I don't see anything wrong with that. It's the same thing you'd be doing if you lived on your own!

olderthandirt

Exactly my point, Timothy. I don't understand a lot of today's parents. They think they're doing well and taking care of their kids, but I think too many are raising people who are completely unprepared for how the real world works.

Victor

We don't have kids that age, but we are ok with our kids staying with us as adults, provided they pay rent and help keep the place clean. Our house is set up so that we could stay out of each other's way if needed.