Do you help with the holiday decorations?

Don

My wife is already planning what she is going to do for Halloween. I use to help her, but it has gotten to be a really big project and I don't enjoy it as much as she does. I was wondering how many people decorate as a couple and how many have just one person that do it all on their own?

FrankSinatra

I try not to but I eventually will have to. We have been going away (either out of state or out of town to her parents' house) and I have been arguing against all the decoration. I don't like decorating if we aren't going to be home to celebrate the holiday.

Victor

My wife and I tend to decorate together. She does most of the decision-making and I help her put it all up. We enjoy it, although she likes it more than I do.

Justadad

We don't celebrate Halloween at all now that the kids have grown up and left, but my wife likes to put Christmas decorations up. I only help when she can't reach, and I just put things where I'm told.;)

polamalu43

Sure I help! The whole family gets involved in decorating. It's fun and it is a lot quicker when everyone is helping out. To be honest I think I like more decorations and my wife likes less.

stephen

My official job is Christmas lights--indoor and out. My wife keeps threatening to buy Halloween lights but I've told her she'd have to put them up herself!

Lorenzo

I don't usually help with Halloween decorations. I leave it up to my fifteen-year old and the rest of the kids. They do a much better job with it anyway. :)

RianMerino

We really only decorate for Christmas and we do it together. It is a great time as a family to get together and celebrate the season. It is quite the to do in our house actually.

Bearsfan

My wife and I tend to decorate together. She does most of the decision-making and I help her put it all up.
I'm right there with you. I have a good time with it though. My wife lets me carve the pumpkins, for Halloween, but that's really the only decorating where I get creative control.

joeldgreat

Though many houses here in my country already put up their Christmas decoration, mine will be decorated after the Halloween. In fact, we've been using the same decoration for 5 years now and my wife is planning to replace some of them. Helping, nope, but the whole family will surely have some happy time doing the decoration ourselves.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
The wife's idea of decorating for the holidays is adding one, maybe two things to the Christmas tree. I do Halloweeen, fall, spring, Christmas and all other things. And well to be honest I love it. If I had the money I would go bigger. I love doing the outside, and the inside for Christmas. I guess it is something I got from my mom. She goes all out and I always helped her. I grew to love it. I love the lights, and all the stuff.

I am more old school though. I do not like blow ups, multi colored lights or some of the new stuff. For Halloween I've stuck to spiders and ghouls. For Christmas I do white and blue lights. I do icles. NO blow ups. I have been doing my best to get the old plastic decorations but they are hard to come by. I have instead started making wood ones, and enlisting the help of others to make wood ones. I did break down and get some new penguins a few years back that are a fabric style.

Halloween starts the first weekend in October. Christmas is Thanksgiving weekend. Planning Christmas may start the week before though.

roncar

My wife also likes to do it up big for Halloween. I'm not much for decorating from this holiday, but I think she does a great job. As for Christmas, I do put up the roof lights outside, but she and our daughters do the rest.

R. Paradon

When I was married we would both put up the Christmas decorations but I'd take them down because I had more patience in making sure the wires were easy to get to them the next year. She preferred just to jam everything into a box.

For Halloween I'd always take my kids to the store and let them pick out the decorations. With the exception of a few favorites we'd change the ghosts and witches every year.

mollew3

My wife loves decorating so I go to find the tree for the holidays every year. As far as hanging lights out I get a friend of the family to help her out with that. I got caught into the whole designing thing with her once and all I can say is never will I fall into that trap again. Women have a different mentality about decorating. They take forever to make up their minds.

youngone

I don't like too many decorations, I think it looks tacky and cheap. I prefer to go with less decorations but nice pieces, like my snowman lights for the fireplace. I don't bother with decorations for Halloween, just a pumpkin will do.