Do you homeschool?

uhoh

I know of a lot of families where the mother stays home and schools the children but I don't know of any single dads who do so. I'm seriously thinking of doing this, but I'm a little nervous. Anyone out there that can give advice or share resources?

Enrique

You're right, it's mostly the moms who home-school the kids, but I'm sure some dads are helping out. I send my own kids to regular schools but I know some people who do home-schooling. As far as I know, they order their books and other home-schooling materials from established long-distance learning schools in the country like the American School, for one. You can search the web for other home-schooling sites, I'm sure you'll find a lot.

Bear

We are probably going to homeschool our kids and we will probably actually split most of the teaching. I think it is kind of important for it to be a family affair.

Sinbian

I think women in general are more committed to this goal and a lot of other things. I'm not saying that men couldn't do it but that they are not firm in implementation as women are.

Victor

We don't plan on it. It's interesting but frankly I don't think my wife or I have the proper temperament and discipline, so we will send them to school.

You can check out your state's laws here, and I know the Babycenter community has a group for homeschoolers that would have a lot of resources for you.

Sinbian

I would like to be able to homeschool my kids but I don't see that happening right now. I don't have the time to do so and therefore don't have the money to afford staying at home.

uhoh

As a single dad, I already work from home. Otherwise, I don't think I'd be able to afford to live, considering the cost of daycare. Plus, I don't want my child raised by strangers. I can arrange my schedule the way I want since it's my own business, but I know home schooling will be a large time chunk. I just don't care for public schools, anymore. The system is broken.

polamalu43

Nope, I'm not a single dad but I won't homeschool either. I loved school! I made so many wonderful friendships and learned a ton when I was in school. I would not take that from my kids.

uhoh

Nope, I'm not a single dad but I won't homeschool either. I loved school! I made so many wonderful friendships and learned a ton when I was in school. I would not take that from my kids.
There are plenty of ways for kids to make friends besides at school. Mine will get a lot of that from church, as well as other things. I'm more worried about the friends that I don't want them to make and the things that he will be exposed to in public school.

Betterman

Our son isn't of age to be schooled yet. The wife and I talked about homeschooling before the kid-o was born. Now that he's here, I'm not sure either of us would have the patience!

Ifamily

I send my kids to regular school, and I can't imagine (as a dad) home schooling them. I don't think I would enough time and confidence to do that.

Bear

My wife and I have begun teaching our kids (one and three) using home school Montessori program. My wife is essentially designing the program herself and I have been really impressed by what the kids have learned so far. I am pretty sure we will continue homeschooling when they are of age to go to school.