Do you treat your boys different from your girls?

BigDaddy

I always feel like theres no way to treat them the same. They have such different needs but yet they are so similar. How do you feel about it?

BigPapa

I only have a girl right now but I would not treat a boy any differently when it comes to discipline, chores, etc. Yes they have different needs but they both still need your love, affection and guidance.

Hedonologist

I don't think I would. The boys take care of them self mostly, and the girls need a lot of attention. Obviously they are different and will grow up throwing different problems your way. But you should be able to deal with either if you can deal with one. That's what both parents are for. :)

Don

My son is younger than my daughter, so up until now I haven't treated him any different than I have treated her. I would like to take him fishing and teach him more stuff about cars than I have taught her, but I'll have to see if any of that interests him or not.

joeldgreat

My eldest is a girl and followed by two boys. For the love, its definitely the same but in treatment, I think the girl is treated like a princess. My two boys would not complain since they knew that they don't need much attention simply because they are boys.

Foster

I only have boys but I think if I had a girl then yes she probably would be treated differently. I would be a lot more protective over her, I have always said 'you can teach your son to respect girls but you can't teach someone else' son to respect your daughter'.

Sinbian

It really depends on their character, not gender. But I guess girls are more mellow when it comes to sport or similar activities, at least my daughters are.

flfsurveyor

We have two girls and two boys. Yes, we had to treat them differently. The two girls were older so they hit the teens stage earlier. Their issues were different from the boys. The boys also got to do the heavier chores. But of course, love-wise they know its equally shared.

writer811

I try not to. If my daughter wants to go out for football or another sport or wants to play the way boys do, that's fine. Likewise if my son wants to play with dolls or dress up or take ballet, I'll support him there too. I try to treat kids as gender neutral as possible.

Lorenzo

I have three girls and two boys. We don't treat them differently. When we buy something for one child, we make sure we do the same to the other four. As much as we can, we try not to give them the impression that we play favorites. Of course, they can be more understanding when it's their sibling's birthday and he or she is the only one who gets a gift.

In the next five years, though, we know that our kids will have different needs and wants, and my wife and I are (hopefully) prepared for that.

FrankSinatra

Yes, and it is natural to do so. Boys and girls are very different so they get treated accordingly. I don't treat one better than the other but they have different needs and I have to be flexible to them.

ghanashyam

Sorry, I have two sons only but I can see that in many Indian families girls are treated as secondary citizens, keeping in mind always the fact that they will go to other families once married. They are not given proper attention in career making.

Victor Leigh

I have sons and I have daughters. Generally speaking, I treat them all the same. When there is housework to be done, the boys are not given 'man' tasks and the girls are not given 'girl' tasks. Everybody learns to do everything. The boys learn how to cook as well and the girls learn how to fix an electrical outlet.

JRDeep

I treat my boy different for sure. It's hard not too. As I'm not a girl,and have never been one to my knowledge, I can relate a lot more more to him than I can my daughter. I'm more in tune to his wavelengths....I know his thought process...I MUST pull him to the side at times and let him know what's up.