Dogs Eating "People Food"

Richard

Do you let your dogs eat leftovers or even cook for them? I don't cook for my dog every meal, but sometimes if there's more servings than we need and I know it won't taste good after a night in the fridge, I'll let the dog have a helping.

Of course, I make sure there are no grapes, raisins, onions, or chocolate in the food. I avoid wheat and grains as well.

DriverDan

When I was a kid our dog ate mostly "people food". She'd wait, usually patiently, and get her dinner after we were done. My dad always blamed my mom for spoiling her.

Cruise

We don't have a dog but if we had, I would have no issue letting it take the leftovers (unless we still want the leftovers for the next meal).

Jack

Our rule is zero people food. Otherwise the kids would be slipping the dogs all kinds of stuff that they shouldn't have, and I would have a couple of trained beggars on my hands.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I give our dogs certain people food once in a while. I think I read that a dogs diet should not consist of more then 20% people food. Or was it 30%. But usually this time of year I will make them some food. And a few times during the year I'll buy some cheap meat and make them a special dish. Or I'll take some of the meat that I boil off of the bones of something and give that to them.

They both know when we are cutting carrots and will run to the kitchen for the scraps.

danno

How about people eating dog food? My little niece is only two but her mother found her eating the dog biscuits out of their dog's bowl while the hulking great dog sat patiently next to her waiting it's turn!

TwinPeaks

Hahaha, that was some nice site I'm sure. But to answer the original question - don't forget that a few decades ago there were no dog food available and dogs were just fine, in fact, more than fine.

Sinbian

My granddad had at least 5 dogs in the country and they didn't know about the dog food back then. In fact it was considered crazy to cook and serve meals separately to dogs. Although dogs ate what they ate.