Doing your own research

Salazar

With the internet at my fingertips, I thought I would be able to do some legal research of my own. I wasn't planning on using that information in place of a lawyer, but I thought it might help give me an idea what I would be in store for during my divorce and custody battle. What I learned is that reading about it online and going through it with a judge are two different things. It really didn't help at all. Did you do any research on your own? Did it help?

Sinbian

There are some topics that you are never sure with how things will evolve. Friend of mine also found that researching this particular wasn't that useful, at least for him.

BigPapa

I am not getting divorced, so I haven't done any research online. I do have a degree in legal assisting though. I have had to do all the filing and paperwork as if I was processing a divorce. There is a lot of stuff to know and if you aren't fluent in Latin it can be a rough go. It is definitely worth talking to a lawyer if you have an ugly fight coming.

Bearsfan

You have to be careful with any research online. So many times you'll get to these sites which are there just to sell you someone or something.

John

You absolutely must be sure to consult the right online resources, and even then they can be wrong. Judging from friends' experiences, I would go to an attorney before I made any final commitments.

On The Mark

I went through the same thing awhile back. My divorce was uncontested and that made things easier. I found that with online research, .gov and .edu sites are the most trustworthy.