Ear piercing

KevinD

I have two daughters ages 3 and 4 that haven't had their ears pierced yet. My wife was catching some flack from a family member asking her why they aren't pierced already. We were just going to let them do it if they wanted to when they are teens. I guess we think different than most?

bighelp

You can let them nicely know what to do with that flack too. Until a child is old enough to properly take care if it, I seen no reason to have any piercing.. It makes me sick when people do this to their young kids, even younger than 3 & 4.

Gilbo

I would politely tell the family to hush up as its not their child nor their choice. I think that is a tad too young myself but then again I remember having a sister have hers done and she never took proper care of them. I think that is one good reason to wait.

Paranoid

I don't believe it's a good idea to pierce an infant or small child's ears. I will leave it to them to choose to do when they are older. It's a pretty permanent choice to make for a child that might not want it to begin with. I would just tell them to mind their own business.

polamalu43

I think that is a great idea. I hate seeing babies or even kids your kids ages with pierced ears. I think it's their choice, not a choice you make for them. What if they don't want them when they are older.

Bear

I think a person should be able to decide for themselves if they want additional holes in their body. When our kids are older if they want their ears pierced we will do it then. I hate seeing infants with their ears pierced.

Len

I have heard a lot of people say they pierced their little girl's ears so people will know that she is a girl. I just don't think it matters if people are aware that your baby is a girl, not enough to pierce their ears.

Ralphie

People from different cultures seem to have different views on this. Ultimately, though, the choice to pierce a young child's ears is that of the parents an no one else.

Michael

We are the only parents in our family who have not had our daughter's ears pierced. My wife and I think that should be the child's decision when she is old enough. Let kids be little for a while.

James

We tried that with our daughter when she was too young to understand how to take care of the piercings and her ears just grew around the earrings. We had to (PAINFULLY) remove her earrings, treat her (INFECTED) ears and let the holes heal up. Lesson learned: Wait until your kid WANTS her ears pierced AND she's old enough to take care of them.

BoyOBoy

Getting a baby's ears pierced is so insane I don't even want to think about it. I see it all the time. What are those parents thinking? If I tied a ribbon to my dog's tail, it would be cute. It would also be a dumb thing to do.