Fairs and carnivals

Dad Brad

This time of year there are fairs, state fairs and carnivals everywhere. Every church and school around us is having one. How do others help their children decide which ones to attend without breaking the bank? State fairs are great, but really expensive.

CHenne

You make the choice and then take them. Fairs are expensive and you can't attend them all. State Fairs in NY are not too expensive to get in. You shell out a lot of money once you get in.

Dad Brad

Boy, you're saying that again. The food on the inside is outrageous, and you have to let the kids get food for the real flavor of the fair. I do hate it when a child wants an item, tastes it and then goes onto something else. Drinks are always this way for us.

Andersson

I have not been to one in quite sometime so we might need to head out. I am a little too old to go on all of the rides but the grand-kids can do that and I will stay below taking pictures of them.

Don

The fair here has come and gone. We use to go, but my wife has never been crazy about the rides, so it was usually lots of walking and playing some of the games. Maybe we will try to go next year again since my son hasn't ever been.

Victor

There's a local fair at a church this weekend. I really want to take my daughter; she's seen the rides as we've driven by and wants to go, but we are flat broke right now. :( I'm a little sad about it.

Andersson

We stopped going to the state fairs many years ago, the prices just got out of hand. We have always loved the smaller ones, most that were family run too. Great prices and very good on the wallet plus the atmosphere seemed livelier.

Endalia

I always give them the choice of 1)A or 2)B. It's a lot easier when you give them the choice then you aren't always the bad guy.

Victor-I wouldn't worry about it. If you are in an area which is not too cold, set up a bonfire and a tent in the back yard for them. Let them roast some hot dogs and eat them and some marshmallows. They will have just as much fun and you won't be out anything. I totally understand the "broke" part. Kids need to see that Mommy and Daddy aren't an unending pile of money. If they learn this now, and you teach them the hard economic facts of life, they will be a lot happier in the long run. Good luck.

Lorenzo

This time of year there are fairs, state fairs and carnivals everywhere. Every church and school around us is having one. How do others help their children decide which ones to attend without breaking the bank? State fairs are great, but really expensive.
We have a carnival nearby that we plan to go to during the weekend. The kids have been begging non-stop about it for months. We only have to pay for the entrance fee and then it's free rides all the way. The food and drinks, we have to buy, though.