FEMA out of funds

Bear

FEMA announced this morning that their budget is almost completely gone. They will not be giving out money for home repairs or anything like that from Hurricane Irene, and if there are any more disasters they may not be able to help at all without more funding from Congress.

Anthony

I saw this too, and they had previously warned Congress that another disaster would wipe out their funding and still nothing was done. I live in an area that was hard hit by tornadoes, and without FEMA most people wouldn't have been able to rebuild so I feel bad for all these people not getting help.

Jdrake

That is crazy. This is the first I have heard of this. I really feel like the Federal Government needs to provide some funds for this. One disaster, and no funds, could send the country in to turmoil.

Clive

Wow, I hadn't heard this either. This is really not good. Without FEMA, what are all those affected supposed to do? And we still have two and a half months of hurricane season left this year...

Dickneardone

I heard of it and I was really saddened by this need. I feel really bad for all of those people who are going to suffer to natural disasters and have little or no help.

MikeWay

That is just awful. I don't know what the world is coming too. This is only going to hurt the economy worse and push us in to the next big great depression.

Fatherof2

I think we are already in the next big great depression, and we just don't know it yet. There is already another hurricane forming in the Gulf that may make landfall next week...guess nobody should be counting on government assistance.

bighelp

Wow! That is nuts. That is something I oddly did not expect to see coming. I can understand never seeing anything like my SS when I retire but its the last thing I thought about with FEMA, I thought they had heavy hitter donators??

Luke

FEMA is strictly funded by the federal government. Federal Emergency Management Agency is what the acronym stands for. I think you are probably thinking of the Red Cross who do wonders in disaster torn areas. They do get a lot of donations, but they are also nearly broke because we have had so many disasters. Giving is also down because the economy sucks.