First time dad as step dad

benben

My best friend is 54 years old. He has never had kids or been married. He is now in a serious relationship with a 30 year old woman with three kids. It is strange because he makes a big deal out of stuff that is pretty normal, and that all dads go through. Do you think it is too late for him to learn fatherhood?

polamalu43

No, I don't think it's too late to learn to be a dad. How old are the kids? I think he will have to work a bit harder as they are not his kids and it's always hard being a step-dad.

Bishop

If he is willing to learn then it's never to late, if he just thinks of the kids as the extra baggage that comes with the relationship than he might not become the best dad in the world, it all depends on his perspective.

Jackson

Chances are if he has been a bachelor for so long it will be a hard adjustment to instantly have to take care of three kids, but I'm guessing he already thought that through when he decided to start a relationship with the woman in question.

Regis

I'm in the same boat. You're going to be one of his main resources and it would help him to learn from you. It's one of the reasons I'm glad I found this place.