Four year old coaching me on reading

Salazar

I was reading a bedtime story to my four year old the other night and I stumbled over some of the words. Let's face it, some of these kids books are tongue twisters! When I finished the story, she said to me, "Daddy, was that hard for you? I can help you next time if you just ask." She's four! I've been thinking lately that she's growing up too fast and that was the icing on the cake! :rolleyes:

Victor

That's really cute. Maybe next time you can have her "read" it to you instead.

My oldest often wants to read the story but doesn't know how unless she has it memorized.

polamalu43

That is so cute! How about next time you let her read. I did this with my kids. They read a page and then I read a page. It was great! They became better readers too.

On The Mark

That was a cute story Salazar. But by all means, have her read you a story at bedtime once in a while. It's good for kids to start reading like that at a young age.

Andersson

Kids can pick up on little things all of the time. One of the biggest issues we had when our kids were in school is that certain things within the English language changed. Then we had the "this is what they taught us in school" conversation, I remember it being a few days before the kids realized that over time things changed, including what we learn in school.

Salazar

I'd be more than happy to let her read to me, but she isn't reading yet. That's one of the reasons I thought it was so funny. At this point, she can identify the alphabet and she can write about five or six of the letters herself, but she hasn't read any words on her own yet.