Gay couples having children

stewy

What do you think about a gay couple having a child? This news story is specifically about Elton John and his partner having a surrogate baby which gives the baby an advantage in that it will have rich and famous parents so won't have to endure the taunting of it's peers.

danno

I think it's a selfish thing to do, personally. Why would a couple of guys want to bring up a baby? I wouldn't choose to care for someone else's baby without having some sort of connection and certainly not without the help of my wife. I can look after my son now by myself but that's because he is no longer a helpless infant, and I feel responsible for him because I helped to create him.

Mack

The thing for me is that it's just not a natural situation, so in my mind it's a situation that's just not meant to be.

stewy

Yeah, sorry to sound so sexist and non politically correct but it's women who have the biological urge to care for children. Stay at home fathers have my respect and admiration but I wouldn't do it unless I had to!

DriverDan

I think it's a selfish thing to do, personally. Why would a couple of guys want to bring up a baby? I wouldn't choose to care for someone else's baby without having some sort of connection and certainly not without the help of my wife. I can look after my son now by myself but that's because he is no longer a helpless infant, and I feel responsible for him because I helped to create him.
I think this is a bit of a harsh statement, and one that anyone who's had an experience with foster children or adoption would contend with. I don't have an issue with responsible adults wanting, having, loving and raising a child.

PeterPater

I agree that the statement about a child needing to be your own to be truly wanted is a little off. I also doubt that having rich/famous parents will protect a child. At the end of the day it comes down to individual cases. If you are healthy, capable and have room in your heart then nothing else matters.

Jeff

I am with the last two posters. I think that if a child is loved and wanted it shouldn't matter where the love is coming from. If 2 adult men want to be a father and love each other the child will be raised in a loving home. Which so many children are not being brought up in currently.