Gunshot wounds

stephen

I watched CSI NY the other night. At the beginning Mac was fighting for his life after being shot and by the end of the hour he was back to work. Do you think the younger generation finds it so easy to shoot and/or carry guns because they really have no realistic idea of how bad getting shot and recuperation can be?

R. Paradon

Absolutely! I see nothing wrong with television, video games and such media but it is making young people think that a gunshot is "BOOM", OUCH, and then the next scene is in the hospital where the hero is getting healthy again. I don't like thinking of my time in the military nor do I tell war stories, but I can say that PAIN HURTS.

It is hard to make kids understand sometimes.

youngone

The 'gangbangers' do not care about the consequences of their actions, they do not care about the victim and their families. They only care about money and respect. The gang culture in this country is a serious problem and I can't envisage it changing anytime soon.

polamalu43

No, I would hope they would know that this is only TV (entertainment). It's up to us, the parents to teach them reality. I watched the same show, I love these CSI, NCIS, and Law and Order shows.

Don

Well, when I grew up they were always getting shot on Bonanza and Gunsmoke, but everyone was up and around by the end of things. I'm not as concerned about television shows as I am about some of the video games out there.

stephen

Ironically last night's episode did show Mac in the hospital and showed that he had memory problems.

I think a lot of times when parents work it's the idiots some of these kids run around with that have the most influence.

Bear

That would be one reason that as part of teaching gun safety to our kids, we let them shoot a watermelon, followed by an explanation that bullets do the exact same thing to people or animals. I don't think that is the media's fault really because adults DO understand that it is just tv, but seeing it all of the time can certainly numb you to the reality of what it is like in real life.

youngone

I'm sure most young people understand the damage a bullet from a gun can cause. The problem is that they simply don't care because they have become habituated to violence and they are motivated by money.

OldPopNLk

I watched CSI NY the other night. At the beginning Mac was fighting for his life after being shot and by the end of the hour he was back to work. Do you think the younger generation finds it so easy to shoot and/or carry guns because they really have no realistic idea of how bad getting shot and recuperation can be?
Yes.
I think so. I have seen so many young people so quick to pick up a gun. Its very depressing.

tommymac

Just once, I would like to see TV honestly depict a gunshot wound or a beating. Have the person screaming in pain, etc etc. Might wake a few people up.

CHenne

If people really think that what we see on TV is the way it really is, they need to wake up. Parents should be teaching their children - plain and simple. TV is entertainment, that is it.