hair be gone and hats

crowl

I always heard that the more you wear hats the greater the chance is of losing your hair. Is there any actual proof of this or is it a wives tale?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I always thought it was generic upon your mothers side. I'm sure there are a whole bunch of wifes tales about it though.

Strongarm

I never heard that from my wife, but I did hear it from my parents growing up. My father has a full head of hair in his 60's. None of my older brothers lost their hair. I've worn a hat a lot and I have a thick head of hair. Maybe it just depends on the actual person, if they go bald or not.

TakeYourTime

My grandfather kept his long shock of hair tucked up into a railroad cap all of his life. He died at the age of 80 with a head full of thick hair. I rarely saw him without that cap on his head.

Ifamily

Reading the replies above, it seems that it's just a myth. However, I wouldn't take a chance. I would just play safe and avoid using a cap if I don't really need it.

chea

You can lose hair from wearing a hat. When I was fresh out of high school I worked in construction. I would wear a hard hat while at work and it caused my hair to fall out in the back area of my head. But it eventually grew back. If you are losing your hair for genetic reasons and you wear a hat too often, it may very well speed up the process.

youngone

I'm sure there isn't any scientific evidence to back this up, it is a myth! Balding is hereditary and it is also linked to high testosterone. High testosterone promotes the growth of body hair and the loss of head hair, unfortunately.

FrankSinatra

I don't think it is true. I wear a lot of hats, always have, and never had an issue. Balding is a genetic trait passed down from the mother's side. If it has to do with hats then every baseball player or football player would be bald.

polamalu43

I did not know that it was passed down from your mothers side of the family. That is interesting. My moms dad had a head full of hair when he passed! I still have a head full too.

BigPapa

I think that there are a lot of reasons for hair loss and genetics is just one of them. My uncle has worn a hat every day of his life and he is really bald. I am not sure that it is the hat's fault though.

youngone

Most men lose hair because they have a genetic predisposition to lose it. Wearing a hat will not have any affect whatsoever. There is no scientific explanation for hats causing hair loss, it's a myth. You can wear your hat without any worry.