Hash Brown Casserole

Bear

we have been trying some new recipes around the dinner table and hash brown casserole has become a new family favorite. The recipe calls for bacon, but we have also substituted ham and chicken. I like throwing a few jalapenos in too.

2 pounds frozen hash browns, thawed
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 can (10.75 ounces) cream of chicken soup
1 pint sour cream
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 pound bacon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 11 x 14 inch casserole or baking dish with cooking spray.

Fry bacon, paper towel off the extra grease, let bacon cool, then crumble. put aside.

In large bowl, combine all ingredients and stir together. Spread evenly in prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes until top is golden brown.

Timothy

This is very similar to a tater tot casserole that my wife likes to make; it calls for a can of cream of chicken soup and about 2 cups of cheese just like this recipe does. She normally throws in a pound of ground beef with it as opposed to chicken, ham, or bacon, though.

Come to think of it, I think my wife tried something almost identical to this a while back (with ham instead of bacon) but she put too much sour cream in it and that was all you could taste.

SingleDadNow

This sounds like a definite comfort food dish. I can't make something like this these days, because at least 75% of it would go to waste, or I would be eating it every day for a week!

polamalu43

Yum! I am all for tater tot or hash brown casserole! I don't know if my wife would go for it though. She is on this health kick. We don't get tater tots anymore! I am going to print it off and leave it on the counter.