How do I teach them to ride a bike with my bad back?

SingleDadNow

I can't bend down to help stabilize them like they really need me to. I feel like a jerk because my kids are getting kind of old and still don't know how to ride. There isn't really anyone else who can do it. Do you have any advice?

Bear

Are there any older kids in the neighborhood? Maybe one of them could help you to teach your kids how to ride a bike. It stinks that you can't help them.

Timeless

It's too bad about your back SingleDadNow, I can empathize with you.

That's a great idea Bear. How well do you know your neighbors? Maybe you can get them to give you a hand? My daughter ended up learning herself and that was because there was no way her brother was going to do something better than her!

Victor

There is a product called the EZ bar that attaches to the back of the bike. It allows you to hold on to the bar and help stabilize your kid without straining your back.

Timeless

What a great idea Victor. Where do you buy this bar, in department stores or online? This would definitely help a lot of people avoid back pain trying to teach their children how to bicycle. I'll mention it to my neighbors, their children are at the age where they will want to start bicycling.

davie

I've seen these bars before too, but I can't remember what they're called. Maybe you could try Amazon? My son taught himself after he saw his cousins ride their bikes without the training wheels. He was pretty determined.

SingleDadNow

I wish my kids were more determined, but they are just afraid. They don't even like the wobbly feeling of riding with the training wheels. It is kind of embarrassing, how old they are and not even close to riding.

Victor

How old are they? Maybe you should give them a few more months and then try again. Perhaps by then they will have more confidence.