How much grandparent involvement?

Hedonologist

How much involvement do the grandparents have with your children? Often families are spread out and grandparents can live many miles away. Do your children get to see their grandparents on a frequent basis?

youngone

I live a one hour drive away from my parents' house. We visit his grandparents a few times a month and they will pop over if they are in the area. My Mum always wanted grandchildren, she cherishes my son.

ghanashyam

My children are very lucky in that respect. I am from India, and here the nucleus families are rather rare, we still have joint families as far as possible with parents of father staying together. My elder son had the company of my parents and my younger son had none. The difference in their nature is visible.

footballtim

I think that having your parents involved in raising your children is only a good idea if your parents were good parents.

Too many people have there parents help raise their children when they know darn well that their parents should not have had children in the first place.

In those cases, it is a good idea to strictly limit how much time the child spends with their grandparents even on a visiting level.

Foster

My parents come up at least once a month and they live an hour's drive away. My mother in law lives closer and comes over once a week.

JRDeep

My parents love coming over to see their grandchildren. I'm cool with it. The kids get a kick out of seeing them. My wife enjoys having them come over(because they tell embarrassing stories about me growing up, and she likes to make fun of me by using this confidential information later on.)

I'd actually like it if my folds could visit more often. They usually come over once every few months. I'm sure the visits would be at a much higher frequency if we lived closer.

Jeremy Green

I regularly take them to their grandparents house. I feel it gives them a sense of history and the type of environment that they came from. I also love my parents to death and want them to love my children. Granparents are the greatest and they enjoy seeing the kiddos each and every time.

Miller

Our kids' grandparents on both sides take a tremendous amount of interest in the children. They keep them on weekends, take them on trips and are always there when we need them.

themdno

I try to get them to spend as much time as possible. It's good for them to be with their grandparents, while it also helps me and my wife to get a break. Both my and my wife's parents live in town, and can visit any time they like. Anytime we need a break for a night, they are happy to take them.

It really helps a lot, and I think it's great for the kids. It's even good for the grandparents, too!

Jatelo2

Even though the importance of grandparents' role can't be downplayed, I'd also warn that too much of their involvement might just turn out to be adverse in the kids upbringing. I'm not saying that all grandparents influence the kids badly, I'm only saying that they mostly do pamper the kids so much that they would feel ill treated when with their parents. Caution is what I'm asking for here!

mkbashar1979

It is vast human society to earn money, buy land
, create home , marriage to be father and finally
become grandparent and worthless member of the family
live along.But it is a character of western society.
Still it is possible it live in a collision family
in different part in the world.I live a collision family
with my mother.When i am out of my house, my mother
take care my daughter.She is more experience then our
to take the child.

roncar

My parents have passed away quite a long time ago, so my step-daughters never got a chance to meet them. But my mother- and father-in-law live practically down the street, so they do see them often, about once a week. I'm glad that they have such a close bond with them.