How much time is enough.....

Lieutenant

I would like to pose a question to the other dads out there that work a lot. What is a good amount of time that you spend with your kids in the course of a week? For me I can usually make sure that at least 20 hours is set aside for me doing dad things with them.

Scooter

Wow, I admire you. I am lucky to make 5 hours a week for the kids. I thought I was doing pretty good, but now I see that I need to step it up. I would love to hear how much time other dads are spending with their kids.

Victor

I have no idea. I stay at home, so I'm physically present just about 24/7, but that's a lot different than being directly involved, which I certainly don't do all the time. I play some, dress them, feed them, etc, but I don't know how much time that all amounts to in the end: a lot, I guess.

Timothy

I don't know if there's any set, specific number that's good or bad. I think you should focus on spending as much time with them as you can. Try to include them in your everyday activities, like watching a TV show with them when you get off work, or taking them with you when you walk the dog, for example.

Clay

I really have no clue on a specific time, but I try to spend as much time as possible. Sometimes this means rearranging my to do list or not doing an activity I would like to do. Sometimes I might try to figure out how to incorporate my oldest son, into what I want to do. He is not as good at golf, as I thought he would be.

joeldgreat

Hi, for me, its not the amount of time I had with my kids but the quality of time spending it with them. As I am too is a working father, the only time I've got with my kids is during the night and early morning. It is really limited to 2 - 4 hours a day. And because of this, I always ensure that all of this limited time spend is worth it. I see to it that every moment we spent together becomes a memorable part of their lives. I would rather prefer this than spending 10 hours or so with them without the satisfaction to both parties.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I would love to get in that much time. I would say no matter how much time I get with them, I will say there is no limit that is enough. If I could, I would spend all day with them.

collin

The more the better...

It's my opinion that the more time you spend with your children the better. let me ask, who better than a loving father to show your kids what the world should be like? You want to leave hat up to the neighborhood kids> I don't think so. They usually learn a lot of bad example type things from them, but on the other hand.. YOU can teach them the love, the good things they need to be a well-adjusted and wholesome minded adult. Not to mention the fact that you only get to live once. Why not spend very possible second with the most important people in the world... your family.

I say spend every second you can with your children and wife etc. You don;t want to be caught lying on your death bed one day looking at your children and family through cloudy dying eyes wishing with regret that you had spent more time with that family of yours. For God's sake, spend as much time with them as you possibly can! You'll never regret that!

Lieutenant

Very interesting points everyone. I agree especially with Collin about teaching and showing your kids what the world should be like. Many experts have blamed rising crime rates on the fact that there are so many fatherless children out there. I can't confirm or deny those claims but it's very interesting.

Victor Leigh

Well, I wish I had spent more time with my kids when they were at home. I, myself, was mostly away when my kids were growing up. I get home something like once a month.

Andersson

I have never had to limit my time, even if that means I lose sleep or something has to be taken care of later (once they were in bed). Its part of being a parent, if you can make the time do it.

Last edited:

Bear

No matter how much time you spend with your kids I don't think it will ever be enough. I spend as much time with my kids as I can on the weekends because we do only get a few hours together during the week. Andersson is right though, all of this is part of being a parent. There have been plenty of nights I was up until 2 am finishing things I put off to spend time with my family.

Lorenzo

I don't usually count the hours that I spend with my kids each week. It's a fair amount of time because I'm usually at home so we have all the time to bond, so to speak. It's great that you can spend 20 hours a week for your children, Liutenant. After all, to the kids, time equates to love.