I am not comical but I do need help

syboken

I am a new parent and while its not new to take care of someone younger than me (kid bro) I am new at taking care of a new born. So many things geared toward new dads but most are often comical, anyone have ideas on how to find books geared with less humor and more seriousness?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I have yet to come across one. The wife however was recommending me a book, I forget the exact title but it was something like What to Expect when your Wife is expecting. I think it is more of a pregnancy book though.

syboken

I think at this rate I need some books, some hooked on daddy phonics, videos, even little tapes to play in the car, err, well.... CD's to play in the car. Once I seem to get a handle on one thing, six other things pop up and my mind slowly starts to melt.

Jarred

I just read whatever stuff my wife had laying around. It wasn't specifically geared for dads and I pretty much just skipped all the breast feeding advice, but the rest of the information was helpful.

It's really sad that there isn't anything written just for dads that isn't humorous.

syboken

You would really think with the kids I have been around in my life that I would be used to the idea but its new and its me and the child will be mine, so its almost like a brand new adventure. Actually it is, or it will be. Right now I am still reading everything I can get my hands on, just in case.

Seven

Reading can help a lot, but as time goes by, you'll find that there are some things you can't learn in a book, you have to live it.

Jaxon

It's good that you're taking this seriously, but you don't want to overthink it either. The fact alone that you're so concerned about all this, tells me you'll be just fine.

vince

I agree that serious is great, but life experiences don't always match what books say! I have learned this in parenting and my career both. I find the best way to learn is trial and error or awesome forums like this from other parents that have been in the same situation or similar! Ask away!

forgotten

Books help with the principle of why you should do the things you ought to do. But hands on experience is the greatest teacher. You can solicit help and learn more from your mom.

forgotten

Books help with the principle of why you should do the things you ought to do. But hands on experience is the greatest teacher. You can solicit help and learn more from your mom.

WillyWonka

Do you have any relatives with a baby at the moment? Maybe you could go and spend an afternoon learning how to take care of a baby. That would be the easiest way that I know of to get experience.