I want to live with mom!

Independent

My kids mother is not in the picture due to her own actions. Still my son has been really difficult lately and said, "I hate you, I want to live with mom!" What do I do about that?

2andalone

I haven't heard the 'hate' word yet but I do get questions about mom, who is also not in the picture anymore. I am just as unsure about what to do and no matter how many times I try to explain, she doesn't want to hear it. I have considered seeing a therapist with the kids about it.

ChristopherT

Why don't you tell them that their mother would probably do the same things you're doing and he'd hate her too? Sounds like a teenager.

2andalone

In my case I'm dealing with a child much younger than a teenager. She's at the age where she hears the word 'hate' and doesn't quite understand what she's saying because she doesn't know the situation. I can see it being a teenager or a younger child in Independent's case.

benben

That is such a difficult stage for a parents. It is gut wrenching to hear your child proclaim their hate for you. Hang in there, both of you, hopefully this is a phase that they will grow out of.

Jdrake

It seems like kids go through the "I Hate You" stage a lot sooner than they used to. My kids are not quite teenagers but they have been through the stage. I hope it means they won't go through it when they are teens.