Intro James

jason

Administrator
Staff member
James Edward was born on March 17th, at 8:03am, at a whopping 9 pounds 4.4 ounces and 21.5 inches long. A full head a hair too. Something we did not know, is he does have a case of cleft lip and palate. Only one side of his face, and does not seem to be too bad. But otherwise is healthy and looks like he is going to be a scrapper.

Mom is doing ok. Have a few issues related to the c-section. So we will not be discharged Saturday, but maybe Monday instead. But she is doing better.

I also had my first Kidney stone at which started at around 1am Friday, and passed around 8am that morning. I guess His way of saying to stop making jokes about having a 10 pounder next time.

Attachments

Daddy_Dearest

Congratulations! Quite a handsome boy. He is definitely a keeper. :) I hope your wife recuperates quickly. I guess you were so envious of her pregnancy you had to deliver too. :D

stewy

Congratulations to you both. My wife had two C-sections so I know they can be tricky. Cleft palate is something that I believe can be corrected very early, so no need to be concerned. He looks like a scrapper indeed and :D at your kidney stone joke!

Pops

Congratulations Jason & welcome to the world little James! He is quite handsome. 9pounds?! My goodness, I don't know how your wife did it. Hope all is well in your house & you all recover soon and make it home.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations to you both. My wife had two C-sections so I know they can be tricky. Cleft palate is something that I believe can be corrected very early, so no need to be concerned. He looks like a scrapper indeed and :D at your kidney stone joke!
Still at the hospital, as he lost a bit too much weight, but he is starting to gain some back.

At around 3 months and 10 pounds (doubt that will be a problem) they will fix the lip. The palate comes a little later. About a year or year and six months.

Our nurse today was wonderful. She called in another nurse that works here, and on her day off she came in with her 14 year old son who had a worse case of cleft lip and palate, and she had another at home with it. So we got to talk to them and they answered some questions. There seems to be some good support groups around here for it.

Shriners offer care, which they do great work and it is free. They are starting to bill insurance, but what that does not covered Shriners will. The problem is we would have to go to Texas it looks like. But it is also a huge finiciall burden lifted off our head. I believe they will cover travel too, but we do not want to interupt our daughters school.

Hopefully Monday we will be released. He needs more weight gain.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Another update. He is gaining weight, although we both ran into problems last week with getting him weighed. Our daughter was sick, so we were both busy. I feel a bit guilty about not getting him weighed, although the wife says he is eating good. I can never seem to get his feeding right according to her, so she does not let me feed him. Another doc's appointment Wednesday, and the doc is reviewing his case at another place.

I cannot believe how fast time has been going and that he is closing in on a month already. I feel guilty sometimes for not spending as much time as I would like with him. I'm still trying to put the house together, inside and out. But I do try to hold him every day.

Zebeddee

James is lovely, kind of makes me want another one. Is he feeding okay with his lip problem? Try not to worry too much about being busy, I'm sure he feels the love in those daily cuddles.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
He has been doing good with feedings. We just talked to All Childrens about his surgeries, and they weighed him. Up to 13 pounds. He is eating between 4 and 6 oz's. So the new nipple we got is working. But there are still some special things we need to do, such as holding him upright so he doesn't get an ear infection, and other little things.

Salazar

Hey, congratulations, Jason!! Sorry to hear about the complications, but it sounds like everything is on its way to being fixed. That's great that you have Shriner's involved - I've heard very good things about them.

Best wishes to you and the wife and the rugrats. Keep us in the loop!

KrazyRon

Congratulations and it sounds like things are going well for him and for you both. It looks like he's a keeper with a weight like that. I'm glad they brought the young man in for you two to meet. It allays lots of fear and worry when you see someone else who's gone through the same thing. You still worry about your baby but it's nice to see there's a "finished" side to things. Shriner's are great and do a fantastic job. If I had a child with any type of problem, that's where I would take them.

Mel

March 17th is my birthday too! Heck, with St. Patrick on his side, you have nothing to worry about (though I know you will, because you're a father.)