Is running good for you?

Rod

I was thinking of taking up running, but some people tell me it can be hard on your body. Now I'm not sure if I should bother, I don't want to wear things out earlier than I need to!

Ifamily

Running is a great exercise especially for those who practice martial arts. But I know I am too old to run. For me and people like me, walking is a better alternative to running.

the matrix

I've been hearing that as well. Running, especially on asphalt, can wreck havoc on your knees therefore, brisk walking is probably a better and easier alternative. I think you can burn just as many calories without straining yourself.

Rob

I think it depends a lot on your age and your level of fitness. Maybe you should try it for awhile and see how you feel with it. Walking would be a good Plan B.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
He can hurt your knees. I used to get shin splints really bad when I run. Although if I run on the treadmill barefoot it is not as bad.

CHenne

The only thing I've heard that is bad is that you can hurt your knees. You are hard on your joints and bones and you might cause yourself a knee injury!

Greendad

I agree, it is not good for your knees, and for some people it can be too physically demanding. I think brisk walking and biking are good and safe alternatives to it.

Rod

Hey cheers for the information all. It sounds like I'd be better taking up something else, and cycling is something I haven't thought of before. Walking is easy around here too, lots of quiet paths to use.

Howard

Running burns more calories per hour than other forms of aerobic exercise, so if weight loss is a primary concern, you might consider doing it for awhile to increase your metabolism.

Pascallist

I used to run three or four times a week when I was younger. At that time I didn't know that running is not good for knees. I just knew that it is a good cardio workout.